Phone stuck on Demo mode; solution? lumia 530

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I came to US just recently. A very strange thing happened to my phone the very first day. I put it on charging and after few hours when I saw my phone it was showing someone else's content like photos, contacts, texts, apps etc. I only had some of whatsapp contacts intact. Everything else got lost.
Can somebody please help me what should I do to recover my data?

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why my NOKIA LUMIA 530 showing someone else's content?

I came to US just recently. A very strange thing happened to my phone the very first day. I put it on charging and after few hours when I saw my phone it was showing someone else's content like photos, contacts, texts, apps etc. I only had some of whatsapp contacts intact. Everything else got lost.
Can somebody please help me what should I do to recover my data?

First man are you sure it's your phone and second check the email your phone is using

AbijithViJay

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site

I have this same issue some one please help me with this....It is showing some one else's screen and contacts....TOTALLY CONFUSED..
and I'M STILL IN INDIA..:sweaty:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if it is Demo Mode, yet... Although I strongly suspect. If you took an update and the servers read your phone as a demo unit this could happen that the User Profile goes to a "Dummy."

Darrin DeYoung and Allison Brown are two common profile names Windows uses on the PC side. I'm having a hard time pinning down the names used phone side. Searching a name would help me confirm, which is why I asked for what name appears???

The short term resolution is to flash the phone to a compatible ROM. "Rebranding" it would also be advisable.

The permanent answer is that Demo Units are not meant to be sold. When they are, it is either a stolen unit or a very careless mistake from a shop employee. Unlike Android, there is no "exit" from Demo Mode on Windows Phone. I have retail units, I can not put them in Demo Mode. It is a separate and special ROM which goes on those units.

But again, I don't know for sure if that is your issue. What profile appears on the phone? Is there any information you can give?

What about possible "dummy" emails or SMS? Can you post some screen shots or write out some samples?

AbijithViJay

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site

IMG-20160308-WA0001.jpgIMG-20160308-WA0002.jpgIMG-20160308-WA0001.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yep.

That's Darren DeYoung alright.

You have a Demo unit. I'm putting out a wider call to some flashing experts to help solve this permanently.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Screenshot of the extras and info page (all of it) would be helpful as at the bottom it would indicate what ROM it's running. I know some demo units have a specific ROM identifier but off hand I can't remember what it is.

This is a long shot, does connecting the phone to a PC show your files?

If not then you have no choice but to use WDRT, however before doing so the ROM info would be helpful as you don't want to reflash the demo ROM back onto your phone :p.

Edit:
You can get the Lumia Firmware from the link at the bottom incase you get a obscure RM number show up in WDRT:
To identify the correct the product code - You would need to identify the following
1) Which region did you buy the phone
2) Was it sim locked to a carrier

To flash:
1. Install "Windows Device Recovery Tool" http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=525569
2. Download the files (except the retail mode nvi) and place them in
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products\(RM-XXXX - your Models RM-Number)
3. Disconnect from the internet and run WDRT, it should detect the phone and flash.

Alternatively try (steps from the link below - I haven't tested these but should work):

1. Download the firmware - only the ffu.
2. And now open CMD as administrator
3. Type "cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Device Recovery Tool"
32 bit pc "cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Device Recovery Tool"
4. Connect now your phone to your pc
5. Type in cmd "thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile "C:\the location of the ffu\file name.ffu" -do_full_nvi_update -do_factory_reset"
7. Wait now until your phone gives a green screen
8. Type now in cmd "thor2 -mode rnd -bootnormalmode"

Link:
http://www.lumiafirmware.com/

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros