Problem upgrading to Windows 10 on my Dell Venue 11 Pro

W

WPCentral Question

I want to install Windows 10 to my Dell Venue 11 Pro.
When after download I want to execute the downloaded media creation tool form Microsoft it ask for permission and after that nothing happens. it just won't start the installer.
Anyone having an idea what is going wrong here?
I concerns a Venue 11 Pro with x64 Baytrail soc and 2 Gb ram and 64 Gb internal memory with 35 Gb free on C partition.
It is 1 year old and works just fine, all updated to latest software, firmware and windows updates.

Cheers, Hans

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Something is glitchy with your windows 8. Look for problems related with installers. Or, Have you tried using another pc to install the media creation tool? That would be the easiest option as you will upgrade anyway.

snah001

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply.

I upgraded already a laptop and a PC with the same tool without a problem.
So I guess it has something to do with the win8.1 installation on the tablet itself.
Just trying to figure out what is causing this behaviour.

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
You're not the only one. We have two Dell Venue 11's and neither will update to 10. Our laptops and main desktop pc have all updated to 10 but not the tablets.

Getting a bit frustrated to be honest, so we've given up and will just carry on using 8.1 until something positive happens. We have an Atom based model, and an i5 model. Both the same issue.

snah001

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Well I took further dive into this and found out that bitlocker must be disabled for making the update via windows update possible.
After doing that the package is downloaded completely, it did start the install and after copying the temporary files it ask permission to look for any updates.
It downloaded 1 update and did restart the setup but then asked for the product code. After skipping that it comes up with the message that it can't show the installation files needed for installation and it stopped there.
So no joy again.

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I've managed to install it and as pretty as it is, it's buggy as hell. Will be reverting back to 8.1 as Dell haven't tested the Venue 11 pro on Win 10 yet. I have 10 on my laptop and I can live with 8.1 on the Venue for the time being.

Problems I'm having:

Failed driver updates
SD Card not accessible
Cortana doesn't work
Random crashes and freezes
Screen Rotate doesn't work
Zero support from Dell as yet.

If you manage to install it and you run into the same or similar issues, you have a month to roll back to 8.1 in Settings - Recovery & Security

At no point was I asked for a product code though

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick update: Dell have now tested the 5130 model on Windows 10 and say it's good to go. No news on the 7130 as yet

Today, my 7130 model is running fine on Win 10. Will live with it for a while :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans