Windows 10 Cortana can't connect, why?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hey guys, I have Windows 10, and ever since I got it and I ask Cortana something she says this to me " I can't seem to connect right now. Try again in a little bit.".
I have no idea why she states that because I am connected to Wifi and if I click on the search she gives me the places nearby that I might want to checkout.

Seajay1958

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem on my laptop. Cortana says "I can't connect at the moment. Try again in a little bit". My internet connection is fine. What's wrong with the Cortana servers?

Sometimes it says "I'm sorry, the internet and I aren't talking right now."

Last edited:

Jasmine Le

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my laptop as well. I can type into Cortana's search bar and results will pull up but if I speak to Cortana, she listens but isn't able to pull up the results. She says, "I can't connect at the moment. Try again in a little bit." as well.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue on my laptop as well. I can type into Cortana's search bar and results will pull up but if I speak to Cortana, she listens but isn't able to pull up the results. She says, "I can't connect at the moment. Try again in a little bit." as well.

Same problem with my Dell XPS18, upgraded from 8.1 yesterday.

UPDATE: It started working this morning! Hey Cortana and Wi-Fi!

Last edited:

sternry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
It is happening with 2 laptops i installed on. It has even begun hapenning to one that initially wa working fine. I am guessing that the voice recognition servers for Cortana have become bogged down with the mass of new users? And hopefully the traffic on them will be reduced as people get past the novelty? Or microsoft will beef up the servers that cortana runs on?

Andromada Space-Eye

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
i discovered the trouble maker, she connects through microsoft account and if you have logged on to computer via local one you got disconnected from cortana servers, atleast i got it running after using microsoft account as computer user login! :)

WallaPatrick

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
You're absolutely right. I had switched to using a PIN login, and didn't realize that was when Cortana stopped working. I logged in just now with my MS account, and now it works. MS really needs to fix this! Now I need to remember to use my MS login if I plan on using Cortana?

torreyy

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
This worked for me! Thanks. Microsoft needs to take care of this ASAP!

Well very interesting...worked on one laptop, but not the other. Need I say this is totally and unnecessarily ANNOYING!

Last edited:

theslipperiest

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Im suffering the same problem. Cortana says she cannot connect to internet or that they are not talking. It seems to work randomly every once in a while but with no pattern. I have another computer on the same network that has no problem and ive also monitored network traffic for the SearchUI.exe and it is sending and receiving despite failing.
I have also tried a different WiFi network as well as restarting the process, signing in as local, and with pin/password.
I'll try reinstalling all my updates next but any help would be appreciated.

looooooka

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Same here. Added PIN stuff died. Removing the account from windows completely and then using another admin account to recreate the previous one, connecting it to the live account and NOT setting up pin fixes it. But as soon as you setup pin(probably picture password as well) it dies again. I just gave up on it.
On my other account removing the pin makes it work immediately... but my primary account is screwed and I am 2 lazy to go through the above steps again. They need to make a fixit that fixes this crap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3