Start menu and taskbar not working in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My laptop is LENOVO G510. It came with windows 8 single language. I upgraded to windows 8.1 single language a year ago. I updated it to windows 10 home by triggering the update. The upgrade went successfully. But the problem now is the start button, applications in the taskbar(only right click) and icons on the taskbar on the right side(time, battery, wifi etc) are not working. They work if I click them after a gap of ten minutes. But if I click them for a second time immediately, they won't work.

I got a message box showing "startmenu and cortana are not working, it will be fixed the next time you sign in". When I sign out and sign in, there is no change.

Is it my only problem or it occured to many laptops?
Is there any way to fix it?
Is Microsoft working to fix it soon?

Please inform me.

Ubiq-fR3ak

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Startmenu and taskbar not working in windows 10

Here you go:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/fix-windows-10-taskbar-not-functioning/cc475554-e5a1-4e28-8444-83bd74a84bf7?tm=1438445987147

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately that fix won't work for everyone (I should know). The alternative is to create a user account (control panel or settings), give it admin privileges, disconnect your MS account from the user account you're currently using, sign into the other user account, connect your ms account there and you should have everything working (for your programs just dive into C drive or so look for users and go through the folders. Add the shortcuts of the programs you need to the desktop)

After creating the new user account, log into it to check if everything (taskbar, cortana) work correctly, if it does, then go ahead with the other steps. Hope it works

Alex Wales

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site

Guys I've just had the same problem on my desktop. I got it working again using the method described but all the program folders were empty.

I was just about resigned to having to link them all in manually when I thought I would check the registry for errors using CCleaner (I use this all the time).

About 30% of the way through all the programs started appearing in all the folders.

It might not work for you but it's worth a try.

I use the free version of CCleaner.

The Lins

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

I ran registry cleaner in ccleaner yesterday and bravely removed all the "problem" issues that were listed. I did create the backup remove list. Suddenly the START menu did not function any more. I thought that was temporary & shut down the PC last night. When I started the PC this morning, the message "critical error: start menu not working" popped up & asked to be signed out. I signed out & also restarted the PC and the same error message popped up. I tried logging in with different accounts but still saw the same error message.

Here is what I did to get Windows 10 back.
1. Restart Windows 10 in safe mode. The easiest way is Start - Power then Shift-Restart. Click Advanced Options & set Startup settings to safe mode.
2. After the PC reboots, choose an account to sign in.
3. Press Windows+R then enter regedit.exe.
4. Click Files menu then Import. Choose the registry backup files to add. I added both backup lists that were removed yesterday.
5. Restart the PC.

I created an image backup & repair disk just in case.

Good luck!!

Philip Trask

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

i am really frustrated by all this BS from MS on windows 10. They should fix it it or stop releasing stuff that just doesn't work. I have been on MS since 3.1 but I am starting to give in the my wife who keeps saying "Why not Apple?" With the crap that is always happening with W10 I don't have much left to defend against her question. I have a tool bar that does strange things, won't stay the way I want it tol, collapses and the just disappears? I am told by techies to do a bunch of magic in the Command to fix the problems. BS. Microsoft just has to get over themselvez and fix the product without the customer having to be a Command language jocky. Enough is enough.
:angry::angry:

Mark Leinauer

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

I'm having the exact same issue. I had a windows 7 laptop (HP envy I7 - only about 5 months old) and went through the upgrade. The task bar simply doesn't work. I've rebooted several times. I'd rather not employ the registry fix posted online (I'm reluctant to run a fix that I do not understand). Is Microsoft going to address this issue?

Aside from this I really like windows 10, but I'll go back if it's not fixed.

Raheem Baker

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site

I got this issue as well these steps fixed it for me
1. Go to the desktop, right click anywhere, hover your mouse over new and then click shortcut
2. When you are making a shortcut it will ask you to type a location. type in "msconfig", click next and then it will ask you what you want to name the shortcut name it anything you want its not imprtant.
3 . A shortcut for msconfig will show up double click it and click on the boot tab at the top. once in the boot tab enable safeboot and the click network underneath it and then click apply then OK it will ask if you want to restart you should restart it
4. Once it is restarted you should go to ms config again and then turn off safe boot and the apply and restart again and hopefully once you have done that things should return to normal

Howard Davies-Carr

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

I read a whole load of nonsense about this problem before reading the last post (which worked). The best and simplest way to solve the problem I had and I am sure loads more. So impressed I bothered to register to reply.

Qadir Ali khan

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why isn't my Start menu and taskbar working in Windows 10?

dont worry about this..
i am also facing this problms and then googled but there is nothing work for me..
now i tell the secret recipie to fix this without any problam..
just do a window restore .. problam solved
.. no data lost no apps unisnstall by restoring
restoring window 10
stp 1..
control panl.
stp 2
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance
step 3
recovery
step 4
open system restore ,,,
and make a restore
:cool:

Terry JP

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for for this suggestion, being a computer tech and seeing so many ways of trying to resolve this issue is also frustrating. Trying to see which one will work, so I decided to try yours on one of my customer's computer with this same issue.
It worked the first time and I didn't have to uninstall his Avast Anti-Virus and do any one of the numerous other solutions.
Thanks and blessings on you for sharing this solution.

David Fermanich

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site

Raheem, you are today's Hero!
Your shortcut solution was exactly what I needed. The next post describes a solution which requires access to the Control Panel, which (of course) cannot be accessed without the Start Menu! Yours was simple and, best of all, it WORKED. Anyone with this issue of your Taskbar and Start menu (and Cortana) not working in Windows 10 should be able to use this fix and get back on track in a few minutes. Brilliant, my friend. Like another user, I created this account just so I could thank you. Have a wonderful life!

kamakraze

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site

I had the same issue I just used the task manager to end Windows Shell experience Host and it restarted itself and corrected the issue.

Ahmudul Hasan

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site

***YOU MUST HAVE THE WINDOWS FIREWALL SERVICE RUNNING FOR THIS TO WORK***
1. Find C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
2. Right-click and Run as Administrator
3. Copy this line:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
4. Right-click in the Powershell window to Paste and then press Enter.
5. There is no need to restart. The fix should implement right away.
If you have previously disabled Windows Firewall or do not have it running, the above steps will result in errors. Use the steps below to enable Windows Firewall and the reverse if you wish to turn it off again afterwards.
1. Right-click the Start button -> Click Run
2. Type Services.msc and press Enter
3. Scroll down to find Windows Firewall
4. Right-click then click Properties
5. Under Startup Type dropdown -> Select Manual. Click Apply
6. In the top left portion of the Services Window, Click Start this service.
7. Now follow the steps in the first section, and it should work.
These steps worked for me. They have no guarantee to work for you. Just trying to spread some help/love. Best of luck to all in your troubleshooting.
:confused::kiss::asleep::winktongue::grincry::angry::wink::grin::angel::unhappysweat::excited::amaze::unhappy::evil::sweaty::straight:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism