Cannot get Windows 10 update app, no idea what's wrong?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Cannot get Windows 10 update app, no idea what's wrong!

Laptop is HP Envy dv4, running Windows 8.1.

Never got the update app in the toolbar, so have tried to download it. NOTHING seems to help to get this thing to work.

In the "Get Windows 10 App Troubleshooting report" it states that Windows is not up to date. But it is. In the detection details, it gives my computer name, Windows version 6.3, architecture is x64, dated today.

I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) with DirectX 11 and WDDM 1.3. My system meets all other requirements.

When I run Windows updater, it states my Windows is up to date. Yet the Windows 10 app refuses to accept this.

I ran the ReserveWin10.cmd and results were, well...not as expected: The first "error" (of many) is "The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value."

From that point, it's a long line of "cannot open..."

Can someone -- ANYONE -- explain to me what is going on, and why this isn't working? I'm suspecting that, for reasons unknown, the app isn't able to detect that I have a LEGAL (as in, OEM) copy of Windows. The machine came with 8, I upgraded to 8.1 with NO issues.

Thanks for any help!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cannot get Windows 10 update app, no idea what's wrong!

Are you going to the Microsoft website and installing the Windows 10 installer, at this site? Windows 10 ISO

If you have tried everything else, the last option is to reset Windows 8. You will have to make sure you backup your documents off the PC on another PC or a USB drive or DVD and do a reset on Windows 8. Then you can update to Windows 10 and then move your files back onto the PC.

Grapeviner

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

Eh, thanks, but I think I need something a bit more technical. Yes, I used the Microsoft site apps; no, I'm not running Enterprise. I have verified that I'm up to date, my Windows 8.1 is registered and activated, I meet all hardware requirements. Something is keeping the "Get Windows 10 app" from recognizing my Windows is up to date. I don't really want to blow away everything on my computer and start over with a clean install of W10. I've already backed up everything on an exterior hard drive, but would prefer that I not have to rebuild my notebook from the ground up.

Joy Erickson

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

I have the same issue. I've tried everything. Downloading the ISO results in a 'Something Happened' error message with 0x80070002-0x20016 in it. Tried searching for a solution - nothing has worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadpool7788