Will W10 install OK windows 8.1 with media centre activation code?

Geoff Larkin1

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
When I attempted to install windows 10 on a laptop 64bit it failed. I deleted the download file in reporting events. Still no good. Decided to reinstall Windows 8.1 from usb made by windows. However when I inserted the activation code, from the email from microsoft when I had installed media centre, the message that " that key can only be used to add features to windows. It can't be used to install windows" came up.

As I also want to install windows 10 my desktop (32bit) which also has media centre installed with windows 8.1 I am nervous about embarking on attempting to .

Unfortunately as I had not realized that I would need the previous codes from windows 7 and pre windows 8 media centre they have been discarded due to what I believed to be at the time a diligent clean up.

Last edited:

Geoff Larkin1

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I am aware that Media Centre wil lnot be present in Windows 10. My issue is will the windows 8.1 media centre activation code work with windows 10? It doesn't work with reinstalling windows 8.1.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Do an in-place upgrade (not a fresh install). This will preserve the activation. Also, log in to a Microsoft account to have it saved in your profile. Don't use a local account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo