Windows 10 start menu & Cortana is not working. Can someone help me?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Using ctrl+esc or simply pressing the windows button on the keyboard is not working. I am not able to click on the windows button either. It has been 2 days since I have installed Windows 10? Anyone else having similar problems?

Sblattner

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have the same problem, tried one suggested command using powershell: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}, that did not solve problem.

bradleymcc6

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I also have this problem, only it hasn't been working since I upgraded, with the start menu button simply turning blue when I hover on it, but not responding to a click. Also, modern apps like the store won't open

SunEmperor

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes I tried that command as well but I think it's for Windows 10 technical preview only. Right now my computer is basically just an access to the internet. Hopefully this problem solves itself soon...

Miriam Joy

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the exact same problem -- it goes blue when I click on it, nothing happens. When I try opening Task Manager, that says it's not responding (which is a bit of a "where is your god now" situation), and I haven't had any success with Windows 10 apps like the Store or Settings. Though Edge has worked once or twice, it's still pretty dodgy.

I was upgrading from Win 7 to 10, I'm not particularly techie so I'm not too comfortable poking around in command prompts and stuff. Any updates on a fix for this? I can't actually open most programmes at present because I don't have desktop shortcuts to them... :unhappy:

Miriam Joy

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Update: Mine just started working! I've restarted my computer a lot of times today, frequently by means of improper shutdown when it frozen on me, and when I turned it on just now after one of these shutdowns, the start menu worked! Haven't tried the other apps yet and of course, it might not continue to work, but it seems not to be irreparably dead. I didn't do anything to it, so maybe it's just a matter of turning the computer on and off lots of time, and hoping it sorts itself out?

Liamhughess

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I think I may have found the problem... Do those dealing with this problem have avast antivirus installed? If so, I believe that is what is causing the 'critical error'. I uninstalled the software and upon reboot my start button and cortana were working perfectly again. Now I'm sure you all know how to uninstall software on your PCs but it may not work in normal mode with the critical error as it didn't with me. Therefore I uninstalled in safe mode. Incase you arent familiar with how to access safe mode on windows 10, heres how: You press ctrl+alt+delete, and in the bottom right hand corner you click the power button. Before you click 'restart', hold down the shift key until the next screen is displayed (blue). Then click troubleshoot, advanced options, start-up settings, restart. Once it restarts, press the F4 key, and when it restarts you will be in safe mode. Now just do the normal thing to uninstall avast and then reboot following the installation and it should be fixed!

I also posted this response on the Microsoft forum: 'Windows 10 Critical error fix, Start menu and cortana not working" bug when logging in with MSA?'

Hope this can help some people! it was hella frustrating trying to fix this!
-LiamHughess

poboxes

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Avast isn't the cause of my problem. I use McAfee and of the two Win10 machines both with McAfee one is working the other not (the ex-Win7 isn't working, the ex-Win8.1 is working). Any more ideas?

Liamhughess

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Not sure! I know some people have codes you can type into powershell which have helped some people... I guess there are a few different things that can cause this problem. I know that a big solution is opening the pc in safe mode again and using it to remove your Microsoft account meaning you sign in with your local account... That does mean you cant use the store though... But until Microsoft provide an official solution we can only try what others have suggested :/

poboxes

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Too early to say its fixed, but at present its working. I have uninstalled a few pieces of software I wasn't really using including ICLOUD which was causing problems and stealing resource for some reason.

Steven Westall

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 start menu & Cortana is not working.

After installing Windows 10 the Cortana and start menu problem started on my laptop. It was crippling because I could not get to functions that would help me work around it; in fact I could not even shut down without using the power key. I fully intended to back off to 7 when I noticed a critical update downloaded this morning.
At the same time I was applying my update i decided to stop ICloud and Gcloud functions.
I did a power down reset and let the change apply.
When I came back up the problem was gone. Let's hope it stays that way.
I will double check to see if the Icloud/Gcloud make any difference by adding them (one at a time) to the start menu in a few weeks.

Scott609

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I have had these problems only on my Win 7 computer, my Win 8.1 is fine. My problems did not start until about ten days after I installed Win 10. I have tried all the suggested fixes, nothing seems to work.

I do see people talking about Powershell. What exactly is that, and how would I access it? That will be my next attempt to regain my sanity. I assume it has something to do with a command prompt. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

jnrwindowcentral

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Your instruction works well . but i have to navigate a bit and reboot in safe mode then uninstall Avast Security. So to all you out there having the same issues please use this method and uninstall Avast Security . thanks to you bro :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3