Media Creation Tool fails. Any work around?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 two days ago but my desktop has not received the green light yet. I was reading that if you downloaded the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's web site that it had an option that would allow up to upgrade your PC or create an ISO install disk. I downloaded the app on my laptop and created an ISO disk as a backup in case I need to do a clean install on that platform but when I tried to run the app on my desktop it brings up the UAC prompt asking if I want to run this program and when I click Yes, nothing happens.

I read some thread somewhere that if you're having problems with this app you need to do a selective startup where you don't run any startups and you disable all of the services and after restarting, I tried this and after restarting my PC running the Media Creation app again failed to do anything .

If I run Windows Update it says I have no updates pending but it was interesting that every time I've run the Media Creation Tool it puts an entry in my update log that says the update failed. The fact is the upgrade has not failed in the normal sense only the Media Creation Tool failed.

Has anyone seen this and if so has anyone been able to determine what is wrong and how to fix it? My concern is that I have a reservation for the upgrade but that too might fail so I'd like to get my desktop upgraded to Windows 10 asap. Any help would be a

SNeurgaonkar

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem but i followed these steps and it worked for me.

First, navigate to ?C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download? (you may need to replace C: with a different drive letter if you installed Windows elsewhere) and delete all the files there. This will give Windows Update a clean slate.

Open Windows Update by hitting the Windows key, typing ?Windows Update? and clicking on it.

Open up the command prompt by hitting the Windows key and typing in cmd. Don?t hit enter. Right click and choose ?Run as administrator.?
Type (but do not enter yet) ?wuauclt.exe /updatenow? ? this is the command to force Windows Update to check for updates.

Back in the Windows Update window, click ?Check for updates? on the left hand side. It should say ?Checking for updates??

While this is happening, switch back to the command prompt and enter the command you already typed in.

You should now see Windows Update say that it is downloading Windows 10.

All my files were unharmed and as it is. None of them were deleted. All the files in My Documents, Music, Downloads, etc. are available at "Windows.old" folder once you're on Windows 10. Still i recommend to backup everything on C drive!
Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3