Why does my screen not turn on after Windows 10 update?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So I had Windows 8 and I was happy, laptop worked fine. Then I updated to Windows 10 and now, whenever I turn the computer on, the screen stays black. I know it's on because I can hear it and the little wifi light is on but the screen, nada. It'll only work if I then turn it off via the button and back on again, when the welcome page will burst into light. Any idea why?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I wish someone could answer that one for me too. Like you, I can hear the hard drive booting up, I guess normally, but the screen will not come on. So far, no one has had any answers here and a few has said my screen was probably on the way out but that should not happen on a device less than a year old. I know it can happen but it should not happen. Moreover, to have it happen at the initial boot of a new install is too much coincidence.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Try plugging in a second monitor. I've read on forums for my MSI laptop it thinks the main monitor is different to the inbuilt one. In my case plug a monitor in via vga, now you can see what you're doing change the setting to make your laptop monitor the default.
Hope that helps.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So I had Windows 8 and I was happy, laptop worked fine. Then I updated to Windows 10 and now, whenever I turn the computer on, the screen stays black. I know it's on because I can hear it and the little wifi light is on but the screen, nada. It'll only work if I then turn it off via the button and back on again, when the welcome page will burst into light. Any idea why?
See the reply below. I had same issue updating to TP 10166.
I wish someone could answer that one for me too. Like you, I can hear the hard drive booting up, I guess normally, but the screen will not come on. So far, no one has had any answers here and a few has said my screen was probably on the way out but that should not happen on a device less than a year old. I know it can happen but it should not happen. Moreover, to have it happen at the initial boot of a new install is too much coincidence.

Had same issue on the TP before 101024. Seeing as 101024 is the final build (RTM). What I did was reset my laptop deleting all previous data.
If you do that, BACK UP any and ALL important data to an external drive if you have one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes