Windows 8.1 with store upgrade to 10 vs factory installed 10 functionality the same?

W

WPCentral Question

Does a store install from 8.1 to 10 on a new laptop work as well as a new laptop with 10 factory installed?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
By "store install", I'm assuming that you are referring to taking your new laptop to a place like Staples, Best Buy, Office Depot, etc. and have them do the installation of Windows 10 for you?

If you have a store handle the install, they are responsible for making sure all the appropriate drivers are installed for your particular hardware. There should be no issues if you do it that way. However, if this is a laptop that you have been using for a while, I'd recommend a backup in case someone messes it up. If this is a laptop that you plan to "purchase" and have them upgrade it for you on-the-spot, then I would be comfortable with that. You may even get a better deal on it as they are probably wanting to get rid of their old OS stocked laptops.

One reason I would consider Windows 10 pre-installed is if I were considering dedicated new hardware designed to work with Windows 10, like the RealSense camera for Windows Hello. You won't find such hardware on a model that doesn't have Windows 10 already installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piklokz