Who has a Subaru with Starlink? How do you get it to work with Cortana?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Have a 2015 Subaru with Starlink, does anyone with a windows phone have the texts read thru the speakers via Bluetooth? Also the Maps app used to give directions over the speakers but not with this Starlink system. On my 12 Subaru I could call Cortana and and ask question, call, text whoever just like speaking to the phone, have not yet figured it out on a Starlink system

shrxwin

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I just got my 2016 Outback tonight, I was pleased with how Spotify on my Lumia Icon worked so well on the infotainment screen, but I didn't have a chance to fiddle with phone functions yet. I will keep an eye on any other replies, and if I learn anything I will share!

BSiegel1

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Hit the call button on the steering wheel and speak "call Cortana"
Wait for Starlink to connect to your Windows Phone. You may not hear anything but the Starlink screen should show your Phone on a call.
At this point you can ask Cortana the usual: what are my appointments, Hey Pandora, play XXXX, etc.

senate187

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Scratch my last statement. I downloaded the contacts and calling Cortana worked! The only problem is the Starlink system cuts her off while she is talking and states on screen, "unable to call". Anyone else have this issue? Same thing happens with navigation, the music fades, it tries to read me the directions but it never comes through, then the music fades back in.

Last edited:

jpasichnyk

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Just signed on a 2016 outback tonight. One issue I had with Bluetooth during test drive is that the maps app voice directions just play a couple seconds of silence, instead of audible turn by turn directions. Anyone else see this? Assuming some bug with maps, as music playback and calls over Bluetooth worked fine.

shrxwin

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
that is great news, thanks for the update. I will have my Lumia Icon quite awhile longer, hopefully Verizon will get something that works by the time I am ready to get a new phone, now that there is actually a good reason to upgrade that is!

jpasichnyk

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
that is great news, thanks for the update. I will have my Lumia Icon quite awhile longer, hopefully Verizon will get something that works by the time I am ready to get a new phone, now that there is actually a good reason to upgrade that is!

Just to be clear, it was Starlink that detected the new text and read it to me, not Cortana. I didn't try to have Cortana read it.

shrxwin

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Just to be clear, it was Starlink that detected the new text and read it to me, not Cortana. I didn't try to have Cortana read it.

Thanks for the clarfiication. If it is a Windows 10 improvement that makes it work, I hope that my Icon gets updated and I might get lucky! text reading from Starlink was one thing I was hoping for when we got our 2016, and having a Windows phone dashed that hope.

jpasichnyk

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I will also add that I'm not able to get voice navigation prompts from the "Maps" app, on either my 950XL on latest Win10, or my wifes 830 running 8.1 over Bluetooth. Just pays silence instead of the actual prompt - not sure if this issue is on the phone or Subaru side, but it's very frustrating...

RokitRod36

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I just got an outback last night and I cannot get my 950xl to download contacts. My wife's 1020 downloaded them ok. Is anyone pulling in contacts from 950xl successfully? I wonder if it is because of multiple accounts on my phone?

joe_s

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I just brought home a 2016 Crosstrek. I paired my 950XL during the test drive, but declined to sync the contacts. After bringing home the car, I removed the device from the car's Bluetooth list, repaired the phone with car, and the contacts synced fine. Hope this helps.

Leadfoone

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if this has been solved or not however I just got a 2017 Outback Limited and my wife and I both have Lumia 950 phones. This is my wife's car and she was really upset that the crazy text to screen features in Starlink seem to actually make texting while in the car more difficult and distracting.

After trying a number of settings we finally came up with a fix. Originally the car would always intercept the text and Cortana would not only never alert us to a text but would also not prompt for input when you held the search button on the phone. Starlink only appears to allow IOS to prompt for voice input when you press and hold the talk button on the steering wheel. This does not work if you don't have an IOS device... :-(

I turned off the settings that pass text automatically and I also turned off the text notifications on the screen. I don't want to have to pick a response from the screen while I am driving which seems not very safe.

When opened the Bluetooth settings on the phone and clicked on the advanced button while the phone was connected to the Subaru BT I enabled "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech". I then pressed and held the search button and behold...! Cortana wakes up and asks me for input. I was so excited. When I texted a test message Cortana opens the microphone and speakers and tells me I have a text and asks me for the reply. This works great... One thing though... I have still not found any explanation of what that Advanced feature actually accomplishes but I'm glad it works.

Babesbarn

May 25, 2017
Visit site
I own a 2016 Subaru Impreza Sport with Starlink Audio. The bluetooth is of inferior quality which is a safety issue for emergencies and I have had this since Sept 2016 when I purchased this car. I have been to the dealership and although following the instructions to have the fan and other items on off when using the my iphone it still sounds like a tin can and breaks up while driving. The other parties ask if I am speaking through a tunnel or have a cheap phone. I have spoken with Subaru today and was informed that this is a common complaint regarding the basic that came with the car. Well I was not told that the most important part of communication for emergencies BLUETOOTH-STARLINK was a known issue. So now I wonder if there is some kind of upgrade that can be made with my already Starlink or do I have to get a separate bluetooth for my phone. Still...what happens if there is an emergency and the party I try to reach can't hear me? Please assist in comments

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism