How is Microsift intending on compensating for the major problems Windows 10 upgrade has caused

I

Iamtamiam

I tried to download the Windows 10 upgrade when it kept popping up on my screen asking me to schedule the download. After about 10 minutes the screen went blue and stayed blue for hours so I tried to restart it but couldn't get anything at all to come up. I took it over to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to see what they could do and they have had it now for 3 days and still can't get it to come up. I am extremely stressed because this computer has some extremely important business docs on it that can not be replaced. I know that I should have probably backed it up prior to hitting the key to start the process but never imagined that it would do this, I usually don't need to back up every time there is an update. I'm wondering if Microsoft is going to replace my computer if it is deemed u repairable and useless because of what their product caused or if they will reimburse me for the cost of having it repaired since it was all because of Windows 10? Please let me know what if any responsibility Microsoft is willing to take and what their intentions are to compensate people in a similar situation.
Thank you
Tammy Varney

Last edited by a moderator:

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your issues, those suck.
I haven't heard of any widespread upgrade issues or anything similar to your experience. Have you considered contacting Microsoft about your experience?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi Tammy,

Please note that this is a Windows enthusiast message board, and we have no affiliation with Microsoft.

I feel bad for your situation, but I must admit, this statement boggles my mind:

I am extremely stressed because this computer has some extremely important business docs on it that can not be replaced. I know that I should have probably backed it up prior to hitting the key to start the process but never imagined that it would do this, I usually don't need to back up every time there is an update.

If you have irreplaceable documents that are extremely important, you really should be backing them up. Computer hard drives are basically time bombs, they will all fail eventually. Your computer could get stolen or lost (if it's a laptop that travels with you). Or, as in this case, a glitch could potentially cause a catastrophic data loss. Backing up is as easy as copying to a USB drive, a blank CD or using a service that backs your files up to the cloud for you.

The description makes it difficult to accurately guess what failed with your PC. If the computer won't boot up at all, it is likely a hardware component that has failed you, the power supply or a component on the main board. If that is the case, then the data on your hard disk and could be recovered.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Taking it to Best Buy to fix was the second mistake. Wouldn't take 3 days to fix with an expert. Unless they haven't had time to look at it yet.

Sorry for you pain but the upgrade has been painless for the majority of people. Don't often read of many problems and the upgrade process generally rolls back if any occur.

Unless BestBuy are incompetent your data will still be there. Heard of zero data loss issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire