How to replace the outer glass of Lumia 640 LTE?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I dropped my Lumia 640 LTE and now the screen is shattered. But the phone still works fine. There are no touch issues, dead pixels or color changes.

Now I want to replace the screen. Local dealers are only providing replacement of complete set with LCD, digitizer, and outer glass which costs around $80. I have found stores in ebay that sells only the outer glass for less than $10. Since there are no issues with the touch or LCD I am planning on replacing only the outer glass. I have some experience in screen replacement with other phone models. But I cannot find a proper guide to proceed with 640. Is it possible to replace only the glass? and how?

Thanks in advance.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my Lumia 640 LTE and now the screen is shattered. But the phone still works fine. There are no touch issues, dead pixels or color changes.

Now I want to replace the screen. Local dealers are only providing replacement of complete set with LCD, digitizer, and outer glass which costs around $80. I have found stores in ebay that sells only the outer glass for less than $10. Since there are no issues with the touch or LCD I am planning on replacing only the outer glass. I have some experience in screen replacement with other phone models. But I cannot find a proper guide to proceed with 640. Is it possible to replace only the glass? and how?

Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue: http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-640/369568-used-640-1-week;-dropped-went-back-iphone-6-a.html

There's no guide, but there are videos of it for the 635 - basically the same thing. Get a hairdryer to heat it up and peel it off. I've not gotten around to doing mine yet, but I have all the parts and tools ready.

LumiaUserHun

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I broke my outer glass too and ordered one form China. Unfortunately when I started to change it, it turned out that there are wires between the LCD panel and the outer glass what I damaged. It seems that it is not possible to separate them, because the wires sticked to both part strongly. So, the best solution, IMHO, to buy a complete digitizer and change that. You need to change the front camera, the speaker from the broken part with some wires, but it is quite easy (search videos on 640 dismantling and assembling) .
Mine is working as a new with the new part...

I have an outer glass for sale if anyone interested... :grin:

mastercoin

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I broke my outer glass too and ordered one form China. Unfortunately when I started to change it, it turned out that there are wires between the LCD panel and the outer glass what I damaged. It seems that it is not possible to separate them, because the wires sticked to both part strongly. So, the best solution, IMHO, to buy a complete digitizer and change that. You need to change the front camera, the speaker from the broken part with some wires, but it is quite easy (search videos on 640 dismantling and assembling) .
Mine is working as a new with the new part...

I have an outer glass for sale if anyone interested... :grin:

MANY THANKS!!!! Your info saved me a bundle from buying used Lumias off friend

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes