How does liquid cooling exactly work on a phone like the Lumia 950?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

I'm assuming that it isn't active cooling but rather one that operates using convection, but does that mean we have to worry about the liquid leaking say after a bad drop? With the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL announcement, I heard for the first time that phones can be liquid cooled. I know the liquid used is probably non-conductive and won't damage electronics if it does leak but I'm wondering if it does happen how much of a nuisance it would be. Other than that this whole technology seems pretty innovative and I just want learn more about its function, and operation.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I'll assume they've either double or triple reinforced the cooling veins, I'd imagine the cost of damage tests had been far more expensive than the development of the phone itself.

I do understand the skepticism with these ambitious designs. I would have opted with the highest grade thermal paste available, but lets just see what happens.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
From the early Hands on of PocketNow, it seems that Only Lumia 950XL has Liquid cooling, not regular Lumia 950, probably due to notorious, heating Snapdragon 810 processor in Lumia 950XL.
Can anyone tell me is it totally correct?

Vikramb92

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
From what I read it seems the liquid cooling is only for the 950 XL, but I have not seen an article definitively saying the 950 won't have it. Regardless Microsoft might have solved the 810 overheating issue in the most innovative way possible, I would like more details on how this works just because of how unique this is when it comes to phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes