Why isn't my Windows 10 Mail app archiving GMail mails?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 Mail app is not archiving GMail mails!

I'm trying to archive my emails through the Win10 built-in mail app, but it doesn't archive, although it says "Archived".

It doesn't archive on the app, nor on the gmail. If I archive the email manually through the website or mobile app, the W10 Mail app shows accordingly.

I've tried reinstalling Windows, but this didn't help. Any clues?

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem in all my W10 PCs and the mobile insider. Mail app's Archive has never done anything, but it always shows the "Archived" at the bottom. The reason I use Metromail is because I NEED the archiving function, without it the mail app is mostly useless to me, even though it has nice new features.
Has anyone figured out what is going on?

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well the issue is that GMAIL is a IMAP type of email. That means the emails are not downloaded to you machine like in POP3 accounts. Also there is a setting called Auto-expunge (which means delete as soone as possible. You will need to set this off.

Just mark it as deleted
The IMAP protocol allows messages to be marked for deletion, a sort of limbo state where a message is still present in the folder but slated to be deleted the next time the folder is expunged. With Gmail's default settings, when you mark a message as deleted, Gmail doesn't let it linger in that state -- it deletes (or auto-expunges) it from the folder right away. If you want the two-stage delete process:

Select "Auto-Expunge off" under the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab in Gmail Settings.
Check the "Clean up ('Expunge') Inbox on Exit checkbox in the same Postbox preferences panel listed above.
When you delete a message using the default "Archive the message" options in Gmail settings, it is then:

Marked as deleted in the Inbox, until you exit Postbox, upon which time, the message will then be removed from the Postbox Inbox, and the Gmail Inbox.
Placed into the Postbox Archive folder, and the Gmail All Mail folder.
A copy is not placed in the Postbox Trash folder.

If you had a POP3 email account you could just drag and drop because the email is on your local machine.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation, but I know Gmail uses IMAP (it can use POP3 if you want though) but there are mail clients like MetroMail that can handle the archiving function like Gmail proposes, and can also delete messages which are different things.
I just want to be able to archive some messages and delete others like many email clients do, the oulook.com even tries to mimic that, but Microsoft doesn't expanded this to the app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3