Why is Windows 10 crashing certain programs?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So, my problem is quite simple.
Ginger spell checker
Aim 7
These two programs will open and then close.
Aim does it when I log onto my profile.
Ginger doesn't even pop up, it will say either one opens in my notify box. Then they will close without much reason.

Aim, I don't like the current version of aim so I use 7. Though, I will state this swapping to the current one doesn't have this issue. I would just like to use my older one.

Now an answer to this problem was regressing back to an older build. Though, I keep being forced to update. Hence, why I can tell the problem is the latest update for windows 10.

If there any actual fix to stop these two programs from crashing. Help will be grand. I'm a slight novice at computer stuff, so simple details on fixes would be nice.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would try a couple things.

1. Running in compatibility mode perhaps. (it's use is well documented elsewhere on the net)

2. reinstalling the offending programs if you haven't already and have the ability to do it.

3. sfc /scannow in case Windows 10 has some under the hood issues. (searching sfc scannow will bring up all you probably need to know for now)

Angelx911

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
This also started happening to me yesterday after I did a Windows Update.

It doesn't crash if you just start AIM 7, but if you login it just cuts off.
I would try a couple things.

1. Running in compatibility mode perhaps. (it's use is well documented elsewhere on the net)

2. reinstalling the offending programs if you haven't already and have the ability to do it.

3. sfc /scannow in case Windows 10 has some under the hood issues. (searching sfc scannow will bring up all you probably need to know for now)

Tried all of these, still happening.

Echocan

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I did those things and it was fruitless. Time does not seem to ease this problem and I have no idea of the cause, but typical means seem to be pointless. It is as the person above describes, I'll log into AIM and it'll crash then not before.

dovienya77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Same issue, I had just updated my BIOS and was completely baffled as to how that could have affected compatibility in any way, until i realized that i had been postponing my windows updates for a few days.

AIM 7.x.x is consistently crashing, and, being averse to all change - I want it back! I appeal to those of you with searing intelligence to provide us with guidance as to how this issue may be resolved.

dovienya77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
reverted update: Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372) - no restart required.

this resolved the AIM crashing issue - AIM 7.x works again with no issue. I'm sure there's a modification to an AIM setting or a config alteration that can have the update and the program play well together, but that's beyond me.

I do not profess to be an OS expert, and I'm not advising anyone to back out of Microsoft-endorsed security updates, simply conveying what worked for me.

CowboyKehv

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Uninstal latest security update in your Windows update settings. delete the Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372) on 12/30/15. That should fix AIM 7 and hopefully more

Angelx911

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
reverted update: Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372) - no restart required.

this resolved the AIM crashing issue - AIM 7.x works again with no issue. I'm sure there's a modification to an AIM setting or a config alteration that can have the update and the program play well together, but that's beyond me.

I do not profess to be an OS expert, and I'm not advising anyone to back out of Microsoft-endorsed security updates, simply conveying what worked for me.

Thank you sir, this is indeed the fix.

SolidSonicTH

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I didn't have to do anything. A few days later it just started working again. I thought it might have been another Flash update I noticed came down (possibly to resolve any issues caused by the original update) but then I saw AIM work on devices I never applied the update to either.

So I don't know what fixed it. I see the ad field in AIM is empty now so maybe it was AOL themselves that fixed it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786