What is the server for my Microsoft account on my Lumia 640

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

What is the server for my Microsoft account on my Lumia 640. Ive put Exchange Active Sync for the moment and wonder if that's what's wrong? Ive had the Lumia now for ? four month's and haven't really got it to synchronize with my laptop like my trustee old Blackberry did up to Outlook 2010. Why does it have to be so complicated. What's wrong with a USB sync like Blackberry used? So straight forward, the latest entry on either machine updated to the other one.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Ed. All of my calendar/contacts/OneDrive/OneNote/etc. just sync over the cloud between phone and PC. I am signed onto both via one Outlook.com email address. It is really more convenient as I don't have to wait and plug into USB to do this, it is continuous and near instantaneous.

To answer your direct question: Settings > email + accounts > tap the Microsoft Account entry > the server is listed in there and it is the same as your Outlook/Hotmail/Live if that is how you signed up for your Microsoft Account. Note that it is a server designated to handle mobile though and has a -m after the server number.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread... Please see this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
That's the way it's supposed to work guys, but if you do a search you will see a few recent threads from people suddenly experiencing syncing issues with their outlook.com accounts on their phones. I have 2 outlook.com accounts running on my 950XL and one syncs flawlessly while the other crawls and crawls, when it syncs at all. And unfortunately the crawler is my main outlook.com tied to my sign-in. So I can't delete that account and reinstall, short of hard reset. It takes forever to even get into the account settings. The main, sluggish account has Server set to: snt405-m.hotmail.com while the secondary, faster and flawless account is set to blu402-m.hotmail.com. I tried using that setting for my primary, stalled account, and it worked to free up a logjam of emails, but then the old, problematic server settings seemed to reassert themselves.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Was hopeful but disappointed that today's new Technical Preview release on the Insiders Fast Ring might clear up the issue, but it hasn't. It still takes forever for syncing and I sometimes get an 0x80072ee2 error code when I try. Its got to be my handset and not the server settings, as I had surmised, because I am having no problems getting my outlook.com mail as soon its sent on my back-up Blackberry Priv, way, way sooner than on my 950XL, and both have the same server setting (snt405-m.hotmail.com). Its mortifying to not be able to get Microsoft mail on a Microsoft device! I am going to try a device reset through the device settings.

duchess98

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
friends have had a lumia phone for sometime .. now have 640 (have had for over a year) and in trying to work out why my calendar email notifcations no longer work stumbled onto another issue - which i resolved but in doing so my phone isnt syncing any more and not sure the server name at the bottom is correct - i only use microsoft account for calendar and contacts ...

Can anyone assist me with what the server name in my settings should be???
Can anyone also assist on how to get email reminders from calendar events ?? (another thread indicated they dont work ATM)

Any offers appreciated:angry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon