Can you remove pre-installed applications from Windows phone 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello,
I am interested in owning one of the newly available Lumias (550, 650, perhaps even 950 if I happen to win the lottery). I've been keen to try out Windows 10 mobile since the beginning, but I have steered off so far for several reasons. One of these reasons is being addressed in the question. The announcement of the 650 today got me thinking now would be the time, until I got to the included applications section. Out of the dozen apps listed, I found only two which I would consider actually ever using. I'd be okay with Microsoft's own applications, since they are woven into the platform and general space-time continuum anyway, but I'd really like to remove any other 3rd party apps I will likely never use. In earlier versions it has not been possible as far as I know. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove excess applications or is this feature in the pipeline for the future? Common sense and searching has left me with an impression that it will not be the case, but I tend to be proven wrong from time to time. Thank you for your comments.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think MS will go that way.
To me it's kind a 'marketing approach' when they make you buy SD card by filling your phone with useless apps you don't need.

What are you talking about.
So according to you microsoft adds apps (and a lot of them you can uninstall) so you have to buy a SD card. Could you please give me a link to a SD card manufactured by Microsoft. Or is het Microsofts marketing approach to let other companies earn . And what about the phones which do not have a SD card slot.??

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I am interested in owning one of the newly available Lumias (550, 650, perhaps even 950 if I happen to win the lottery). I've been keen to try out Windows 10 mobile since the beginning, but I have steered off so far for several reasons. One of these reasons is being addressed in the question. The announcement of the 650 today got me thinking now would be the time, until I got to the included applications section. Out of the dozen apps listed, I found only two which I would consider actually ever using. I'd be okay with Microsoft's own applications, since they are woven into the platform and general space-time continuum anyway, but I'd really like to remove any other 3rd party apps I will likely never use. In earlier versions it has not been possible as far as I know. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove excess applications or is this feature in the pipeline for the future? Common sense and searching has left me with an impression that it will not be the case, but I tend to be proven wrong from time to time. Thank you for your comments.

In general, only built-in apps cannot be uninstalled, all the rest (including pre-installed ones) can be uninstalled. I was able to uninstall ALL third party apps that came pre-installed in my L1020 (like Zinio). So you also should be able to uninstall them. If not, then it can't - your phone will still work normally.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread... Please see this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codingpanic