Data that was in windows.old folder in Windows 7 is deleted on Windows 10 after upgrade

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I had a Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot. I chose to upgrade to Windows 10 but it failed causing me lose both my Ubuntu and Windows 7. I reinstalled Windows 7 using the recovery CD and was able to find all my Windows 7 data under Windows.old folder. I did not move this data to the new Windows 7 installation. I later chose to retry upgrading to Windows 10. This time the upgrade worked smoothly. However when I logged on to Windows 10, I see it has a Windows.old folder but does not have any data.

I think the upgrade only recovers data from previous installation however there is any data under windows.old folder in the previous installation that will not be recovered. Is there any way I can get this data back?

Thank you in advance.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I had a Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot. I chose to upgrade to Windows 10 but it failed causing me lose both my Ubuntu and Windows 7. I reinstalled Windows 7 using the recovery CD and was able to find all my Windows 7 data under Windows.old folder. I did not move this data to the new Windows 7 installation. I later chose to retry upgrading to Windows 10. This time the upgrade worked smoothly. However when I logged on to Windows 10, I see it has a Windows.old folder but does not have any data.

I think the upgrade only recovers data from previous installation however there is any data under windows.old folder in the previous installation that will not be recovered. Is there any way I can get this data back?

Thank you in advance.

I think the upgrade might have created a new Windows.Old folder after deleting the existing one, which caused your data to be lost. You should have copied the data back to your windows 7 installation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon