Windows 10.0.10586 reinstalled itself Feb 2016, checked build, SAME!?

emancipatedbylimits

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
The other day I clicked the install update button by accident when adjusting the update schedule and what I thought would be a 5-10 minute setback in my work turned out over 2 hours when the windows update was apparently a full reinstall of OS, furthermore the build number has not changed after this all happened. Now the HDD is a little sluggish perhaps due to re-indexing of files. All local settings appear normal, no changed observed in anything. Since I accidentally clicked 'update' I did not get to see the details of the update. I had build 10586, still have it. Anyone care to speculate?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
In the latest update, the version change was reflected in the last few digits after "10586", i.e. 10586.104. If I recall correctly, this has been the case in the past three updates: 10586.36, 10586.63, then now 10586.104.

Click on Start, then type "About", then check what OS Build your PC now has.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread... Please see this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

emancipatedbylimits

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
@ gpobernardo: Ok I signed up, it's me OP. The only numbers I can find resembling what you're talking about are version found in 'about' tab of 'System'; 1511. However under 'os build' it says '10586.0'. Other factors leading me to believe the OS update was a complete reinstall: 1) 'view your update history' under Advanced Options shows NULL. 2) ever since this lengthy 2+ hour "update" (which did not look on screen like a typical update, but like an OS installation screen) A Windows.old directory exists ( C/Windows.old) and in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT/ , 'NewOS' directory exists modified at the time of the suspected reinstall. Symptoms after reinstall were/are having to reactivate Classic shell start menu, and the boot time, which I recall being no more than 30 seconds upon first purchase, is now close to 1:30 and even 2:00 min to responsive desktop environment.
I noticed boot time increased after this mysterious event. I also had to re-activate office suite.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
domdomonom