DUAL BOOT XP / WIN10 or WILL WIN10 BE ABLE TO RUN XP APPS?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

DUAL BOOT XP / WIN10 or WILL WIN10 BE ABLE TO RUN XP APPS

Hello - I have a 2006 bespoke video editing system - 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, Core 2 DUO, XP Pro, with a 6 mth old replacement 1TB SATA 111 Video HDD plus GV EDIUS, Photodex Producer, and TMPG Authoring s'ware ALL only compatible with XP.
I believe that I have three options: 1. purchase replacement s'ware for Windows 10 and upgrade PC to Windows 10 or use the PC for the old XP programs 2. Run in DUAL BOOT on C: partitioned, with XP on first partition (perhaps replace main HDD with a SSD just for programs) 3. Check if the old programs will run under Windows 10 compatibility mode?
I cannot find how I might check if the programs will run as 3.
Any advice would be appreciated.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: DUAL BOOT XP / WIN10 or WILL WIN10 BE ABLE TO RUN XP APPS

In the process of upgrading to Windows 10, i.e. from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, the user will be prompted when certain programs are not compatible with Windows 10. However, two things:
1) In my experience, very specialized software will not be flagged as incompatible even if they are (such as my computational chemistry and physics software, which I luckily was able to update to a compatible version officially from the software publisher);
2) It seems that you can NOT directly upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10. You need to either jump to Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 first before going to Windows 10, or go to Windows 10 directly (if you can find a valid ISO AND purchase a license key).

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread... Please see this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre