Why emulation on W10M/WP is so bad?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

There's a problem I can't understand. I downloaded four GBA emulators(VBA8, VBA10, Purple Cherry X, etc.) on my L640. I started a game Pokemon Emerald and was shocked. In every emu sound is distorted and makes headaches, in VBA8 fps is lower than 45fps, in VBA10 and Purple Cherry X - lower than 40 and 30 fps. By the way, VBA10 makes phone really hot, although fps is lower, sound is even worse quality and app is made for W10M so all this makes no sense, because VB8 on W10M works miles better, but it's still unacceptable. Why? Because my old PSP with 333MHz processor and 64 MB RAM emulated GBA games almost perfectly.
Okay, there could be some reasons like bad coding and small number of WP/W10M users, but, come on, even GBC games (like Pokemon Crystal) on those WP/W10M GBA emulators are not emulating great, sound is distorted too, but, at least, are listenable. But no excuses, because I emulated pokemon crystal on my iPod Nano 1st gen. which has 80MHz cpu and there is no sound distortion at all... All this just makes no sense.

Konstantin K

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
if you write about gpsp (gba emulator for the psp platform) so it uses code compilation feature - on the fly compile rom to psp compatible code.
it gives low battery consumption and performance.
currently all snes/gba emulators are written to old platform (win8) which is strict to code compilation for the runtime (code generation on the fly is used by many viruses and spy-soft, so MS is closed that ability for the platform).
so all win mobile game-emulators are working via the interpreter - that means great overhead in resources consumption (about ~10X times).

but currently in win10 (uwp platform) the code generation feature is enabled, but not fully - only for the old CPU instructions (detailed overview is described in the http://forums.windowscentral.com/app-spotlight/418692-win64e10-%96-n64-emulator-windows-10-mobile.html thead).

so currently there are no fast emulators for win10m.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb