Message Backup Sign In

davidbcox

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I just upgraded from a Lumia 820 with WP8.1 to a 950 with W10M. I would like to transfer my text messages to the new phone.

I had backup setup on the 820, but had no way, that I know of, to see if it was working. They aren't showing up on my 950. I don't know if it's because they aren't backed up, or if the 950 isn't retrieving them.

When I navigate to the messages>history and sync section, it tells me to sign in. But, when I click "sign in" to go to a log in screen (I assume), nothing happens. It's like the link is dead.

Ideas?

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure if that link means getting the messages from backup from another phone.

I don't know if it is an option for you or not, but I usually restore backup in the install phase of a new/hard reset phone.

So if you are able, do a hard reset and do the backup restore while setting up the phone (the 950).

Hope that helps.

davidbcox

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd rather not do a hard reset as I've spent 2 days updating and setting this one up. It appears my 950 isn't currently setup to backup, and will not until I log in.

davidbcox

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to follow up on this. I still haven't figured out how to use the NEC connection as suggested, but I did do a hard reset. I am now able to log on. Unfortunately, it appears my old phone stopped archiving text messages a couple of years ago. My "backed up" messages stop at 2014... I downloaded a 3rd party app that is supposed to work, but I haven't pulled the memory card yet to switch it around. The 950 isn't easy to open, and I am probably going to have to exchange it for a new one because it gets extremely hot (uncomfortable to hold) when charging, so I don't want to risk damaging it during the process of switching the cards out. Ideally, I could load the text messages without having to open the phone up for the card, and then let the backup do its job so that the new phone will download all of the messages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen