why is my battery draining so fast and heating up?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

my lumia 640 suddenly started heating up and draining battery even though no task is running in background.I already factory reset my phone still no luck.Even if the phone is idle,battery goes from 100% to 0% in 3 hours.I have the latest update of windows 10 mobile.My phone is just out of warranty now, can anyone help me here.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
my lumia 640 suddenly started heating up and draining battery even though no task is running in background.I already factory reset my phone still no luck.Even if the phone is idle,battery goes from 100% to 0% in 3 hours.I have the latest update of windows 10 mobile.My phone is just out of warranty now, can anyone help me here.

Are you running insider build or regular consumer build?

Installed any new apps lately? May be an app with a bug running wild in the background. You should check under privacy settings the apps allowed to run in background and disable the ones you dont need to run. Background apps means they run periodically even though you closed them in the app switcher.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

A few things you can try out:
  • Check settings >system > battery > which apps are using the most energy?
  • Again, in battery section, which apps can run in the background? Can you disable those you don't need? Keep messaging enabled to run in background
  • In battery section, you can also set up battery saver to kick in when the battery reaches a certain percentage. I keep mine on 100% so it's always on battery saver mode
  • In mail app, how often do you have mails to sync? Generally the longer the time period, the less the battery usage
  • What about brightness settings? Is it on high or auto? Auto is better than a fixed setting
  • If you finds that messaging app uses a lot of battery, this could be because it's linked with skype. Go to messaging app, settings and unlink skype
  • In photos app, do you have auto upload of photos enabled? If yes, try to not upload high res photos and videos unless you are charging the phone and on wifi
  • When you use some apps that are not data heavy like whatsapp or mail, you can use a lower network speed like 2G. It's what I do usually. I only use LTE when I have to use 6tag
  • If you're using edge for basic browsing, you could try using UC browser. Not only does it use less data but you can also disable images which means you save even more on data. The less data your phone has to receive, the less the energy used
  • In settings > privacy - check each of those settings to see which apps can use what. For example I can't understand why Word would need to access location info so I disabled that. There might be apps using services that they are not meant to use
  • Finally, keep wifi/cellular off when you don't need to have them on. The toggles in action centre are pretty fast so it doesn't take much time in switching internet on/off
  • Disable auto update of apps, you only update when you are ready and not when you are in need of critical things

Hope this helps you

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6