After upgrade to Windows 10, the fan is stopping and starting all the time. What can I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

after upgrade to Win 10 fan is stopping and starting all the time

Preparing to sell (recycle) my Dell Inspiron 2330 which came with Win 8 installed and was upgraded to Win 10 when it first came out with no issues, Win 10 ran perfectly.

To prepare for sale I did a complete reset back to factory settings then upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10 Home again, now system fan is constantly starting and stopping.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: after upgrade to Win 10 fan is stopping and starting all the time

Preparing to sell (recycle) my Dell Inspiron 2330 which came with Win 8 installed and was upgraded to Win 10 when it first came out with no issues, Win 10 ran perfectly.

To prepare for sale I did a complete reset back to factory settings then upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10 Home again, now system fan is constantly starting and stopping.

That's the normal "energy balanced" working, fan should be start only when cpu temp excedeed a fixed value, usually 50? celsius

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
When you go to 10 from 8.1 and others I suppose, your device has a lot of stuff to do updating, synchronizing etc.

It not unusual for things like Surfaces, Laptops and especially phones to run a little hot for the first few hours or so.

But there are also a few apps or settings that can cause a PC to go into overdrive, one of them that caused me a few issues with my Surface was "Show me tips about Windows", you can find this in settings/notifications and turn it off, there are a few other things but you would be best to look in task manager and see what is using up resources, this was how I found out about the "Show me tips" issue on my SP3.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you do NOT leave a W8 settings backup on your Onedrive (as opposed to sync settings) which W8 used to do. W10 can pick up this backup at install. That can cause a never-ending loop during idle system maintenance which ends up never cleaning out the Windows Defender cache. It just runs the system ragged every time it drops into idle maintenance.

Check for this with an SFC /SCANNOW. If that fails, you will end up trying a DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH. If that fails, then you have the bug. No point trying to provide an alternate source for DISM, it will also fail. The only solution is a) another clean install after deleting the W8 saved settings from your Onedrive or b) an 'upgrade' install from the W10 ISO over your current W10 install (after deleting those W8 saved settings from Onedrive).

The link to delete your W8 settings is here:
https://onedrive.live.com/Options/DeviceBackups

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99