FB Messenger - no keyboard

misterjackson

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced not being able to enter any text in the new FB Messenger?
I tap on the text field but the keyboard fails to appear ... strikes me as an essential for a messaging app.
My phone is the Lumia 950 xl.
I can do all the other stuff, the gifs, the photos and emoji and as much fun as it is to communicate using emoji ... it can get a little tedious.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol to the communicating with emoji's part :p

Did you try uninstalling/reinstalling the app?

Congrats on the first post btw :)

misterjackson

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Ah it was funny for the first few times ... but really, it's not the future of communication. Thanks for the suggestion, it was something I tried, in fact I did it twice, thinking that maybe I did it too fast the first time and that if I took it slower the phone might actually understand what I was doing.
Anyway, it would seem I'm the only person to be suffering from the problem. Localised issue. I've probably not been caring enough and it's decided to show me who's boss. The tables will turn when the Surface Phones comes comes out (fingers crossed) and I consign this to my drawer full of failed Windows phones. Then we'll see who's laughing.
Only a couple of years to go.

Oh and yes first post ... I didn't give it much thought until you mentioned it. Thank you.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm not having the same issue, but the new fb app is also being a pain.

Works on one phone, but keep crashing on the other one :/

Think they just need updates

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm holding out for updates. I'm seemingly the only person with this issue, which I suppose, makes me special. My mum was right.

any chance you use continuum? With an external keyboard? If yes, try with that
Or switch to landscape mode - at this point I'm just trying out wild ideas

misterjackson

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Hey there, great idea to check on continuum. So, I have but unfortunately its worse. When I run messenger in continuum mode I just get a blank black screen. On top of that the performance of Edge while in continuum is just terrible. Many thanks for the suggestion.

misterjackson

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
There was an update yesterday! any good?

I'm not entirely convinced I got an update ... but if I did I'm not seeing any difference. I did run a check for updates, but none were forth coming.

Just wanted to say thanks for the input guys ... much appreciated.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not entirely convinced I got an update ... but if I did I'm not seeing any difference. I did run a check for updates, but none were forth coming.

Just wanted to say thanks for the input guys ... much appreciated.

Download the messenger app from the store and check that one

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I should have mentioned ... I uninstalled it again and then re-installed it, again to no avail. It's a mystery :)

There are currently two messenger apps.. 1 has a beta tag and the other is simply named "messenger".

If I'm correct you had the issue with the beta app? So I think the other messenger app (without beta in the title) should be ok

misterjackson

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
There are currently two messenger apps.. 1 has a beta tag and the other is simply named "messenger".

If I'm correct you had the issue with the beta app? So I think the other messenger app (without beta in the title) should be ok

That's great news, I will have a search for that. Cheers!

misterjackson

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I couldn't find the other version of the app in the store, no doubt due to my own incompetence. I have however discovered the keyboard also fails to show itself in Edge, but only in the private browser, works fine for regular tabs.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't find the other version of the app in the store, no doubt due to my own incompetence. I have however discovered the keyboard also fails to show itself in Edge, but only in the private browser, works fine for regular tabs.

MS posted a workaround for the keyboard in prvate mode issue. It was on the blog.

And I think this issue was addressed with the two recent builds which were pushed to the fast ring

misterjackson

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm on the fast ring ... the problem with Edge is resolved now although still having problems with FB messenger, which kind of points to it being a problem in the app and not the OS?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss