No free space - Windows 10 laptop install

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello,

I want to upgrade my laptop from windows 8.1 to windows 10.
I have a SSD installed with 46.1GB Free space. If I delete everything on that SSD, i have about 15GB free space (windows takes a lot of space apperently...)

For the update I need 22.1GB free space, which I don't have. I tried to add a USB with 10GB free space, because I thought that I would need 22.1 minus 10 = 12.1GB free space on my SSD. But I still need to have 19.3GB on my SSD, even with a USB connected?

Does anyone has a idea on how to install windows 10, i'm hopeless. I have search the internet but didnt find something...

Sorry about my English, It's not my native language.

Greetings

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
How good with computers are you?
If you're not very good, try running the Windows Disk Clean-up utility, then elevating it to admin to clean out things you don't need. You can save a good bit of space with this usually.

I used the following two tools to clean out system files to ensure I had enough space to do an in-place upgrade.

THESE ARE POTENTIALLY VERY RISKY AND ARE ONLY TO BE USED IF YOU'RE VERY EXPERIENCED, NOT RISK-ADVERSE, AND AS A LAST RESORT!
PatchCleaner:
PatchCleaner - safely clean your windows installer directory | homedev - software development out of the box
Removes orphaned patch/installer files. Can save TONS of space on the first run, especially if you've installed lots of software/updates over the years.
Low risk.

RAPR:
DriverStore Explorer [RAPR] - Home
Removes driver packages. Can save TONS of space, especially if you update large driver packages often (AMD Catalyst, nVidia Control Panel, etc) as every time you update, the WHOLE package gets stored. This saved me a ton of space from nVidia updates over 4 years.
Medium-high risk.

Jordi Deseure

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm not that good with computers, so i'm not gonna use the second option.

The laptop is however brand new, i've only installed a few programs, antivirus software and a few games.
It was delivered with 8.1, but I thought I could easily update to windows 10 like the rest of my computers.
I recently read something about a clean install, that uses a lot less space, but I am a bit afraid of that, will that work on a Acer laptop, because now there are a lot of programs and apps from Acer (like every laptop you buy).

Why does the added USB stick only get rid about 3GB on the install on the SSD, when the updater asks for a stick of about 10GB?
I thought that if I connected a stick of 10GB, it would work :(

Greetings

NokiLumia520

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

The laptop is however brand new, i've only installed a few programs, antivirus software and a few games.
It was delivered with 8.1, but I thought I could easily update to windows 10 like the rest of my computers.
I recently read something about a clean install, that uses a lot less space, but I am a bit afraid of that, will that work on a Acer laptop, because now there are a lot of programs and apps from Acer (like every laptop you buy).

Why does the added USB stick only get rid about 3GB on the install on the SSD, when the updater asks for a stick of about 10GB?

Greetings

Do clean install and later download drivers from acers official site and you will probably find programs too

RohanRonQM

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
The only danger going this method is if you have a DVD drive on the computer, you will not receive the DVD player app for free (from Microsoft). It costs $15 from Windows Store.

Other than that, a clean install would be great and if you have any files/folders make sure to backup beforehand.
Originally posted by NokiLumia520
Originally Posted by Jordi Deseure

Greetings

Do clean install and later download drivers from acers official site and you will probably find programs too

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Greetings

not sure why the USB stick would free that much only.

To free up space - open my computer, right click on drive C (your main drive). Go to properties. In properties you'll see disk cleanup. Do that.
Second is to remove any stuff that you know you can get again like games from store or music that you downloaded ect. Remove as much as you can

You should be able to create space

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyA