How to stop WMP from automatically scanning removable storage devices?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
One irritating feature with windows media player is that when it is playing, and you insert a removable storage such as a flash or external hard drive, the program starts scanning the storage for songs and will just keep on scanning. So the storage is always blinking and you cannot safely remove it unless you close windows media player.

Is there a way of disabling this in media player? Or other means?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
One irritating feature with windows media player is that when it is playing, and you insert a removable storage such as a flash or external hard drive, the program starts scanning the storage for songs and will just keep on scanning. So the storage is always blinking and you cannot safely remove it unless you close windows media player.

Is there a way of disabling this in media player? Or other means?

I use WMPfor watching FullHD movies but I remember I disabled somewhere in settings everything like Catalog auto update etc

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I assumed you left plugged all removable you don't want to scan

I guess I wasn't clear on that one :grincry:

If you use Kaspersky, it has an option to not scan removable drives when inserted or always scan them when inserted. I was hoping that WMP would have something similar so that I can just set it to off and it won't do anything when inserting a flash drive or hard disk

But I can try your method - I don't have that many removable drives and the main one was the external hard drive

tdebaets

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Are you still struggling with this issue? If that's the case, in WMP, please go to Tools - Options - Devices (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). Double-click the device in the list and tick or untick Create folder hierarchy on device, then click OK.

Changing this or any other setting in Sync Options should cause WMP to create a WMPInfo.xml file in the root of the drive. The presence of such a file should prevent WMP from automatically scanning the drive the next time it's inserted.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Are you still struggling with this issue? If that's the case, in WMP, please go to Tools - Options - Devices (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). Double-click the device in the list and tick or untick Create folder hierarchy on device, then click OK.

Changing this or any other setting in Sync Options should cause WMP to create a WMPInfo.xml file in the root of the drive. The presence of such a file should prevent WMP from automatically scanning the drive the next time it's inserted.

I've tried, and it works. Thank you so much for that. You're a genius

I'll try with flash drives too

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon