how can I delete a photo on my Windows 10 phone without deleting them on One Drive.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

When I delete a photo I get the menu that it will be deleted from both files. What is the point of One Drive if I can't use it for storage?

Ipheuria

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Once the files are synced you can choose where to have the files reside. In other words if you want to free space on your computer by having the files on OneDrive. First make sure all files are synced so they exist both in OneDrive and on your computer. Then go your taskbar (lower left near the time) and right click the Onedrive icon choose settings or preferences. I'm on a Mac so you go to Account and then Choose Folders and you will get a list of everything on OneDrive. You uncheck what you intend to delete from your computer. When you apply the change you will get a message that the changes will no longer be synced to OneDrive. The same setting is in Windows. Once that change has been made you can delte the files from your computer and they will still remain in OneDrive. After you delete the files I would give it a day or two before emptying the recycle bin just in case there was any hiccup in the settings.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Once the files are synced you can choose where to have the files reside. In other words if you want to free space on your computer by having the files on OneDrive. First make sure all files are synced so they exist both in OneDrive and on your computer. Then go your taskbar (lower left near the time) and right click the Onedrive icon choose settings or preferences. I'm on a Mac so you go to Account and then Choose Folders and you will get a list of everything on OneDrive. You uncheck what you intend to delete from your computer. When you apply the change you will get a message that the changes will no longer be synced to OneDrive. The same setting is in Windows. Once that change has been made you can delte the files from your computer and they will still remain in OneDrive. After you delete the files I would give it a day or two before emptying the recycle bin just in case there was any hiccup in the settings.

That's a good explanation, I couldn't have said it better myself :smile:, however, that would be for pc, the OP mentioned windows phone in the title :smile:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
When I delete a photo I get the menu that it will be deleted from both files. What is the point of One Drive if I can't use it for storage?

which OS version are you on? Have you tried to see what happens when you delete the photo? Does it also disappear on onedrive?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Bollycats

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm not the original poster, but I too have the same problem. I'm on a Lumia 950, so Windows 10, and every time I delete a photo it says it will delete on One Drive, which it does. I too want One Drive for storage of photos I don't necessarily want on my phone all the time. I've checked every setting I can think of, but I don't see a solution.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm not the original poster, but I too have the same problem. I'm on a Lumia 950, so Windows 10, and every time I delete a photo it says it will delete on One Drive, which it does. I too want One Drive for storage of photos I don't necessarily want on my phone all the time. I've checked every setting I can think of, but I don't see a solution.

in photos app, unlink or sign out of onedrive and then try deleting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett