Right-click drag files into Outlook email to create hyperlink

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

In Windows 7 I would constantly right-click drag and drop a file from windows explorer into the body of a new email in Outlook. Since I right clicked, it would give a popup menu with options, Move, Copy, or Create Hyperlink. I emailed hyperlinks to files all the time since they're on the server instead of attaching the files to email. This drag and drop function doesn't seem to work in windows 10. Anyone know an easy way to add a hyperlink to a file on a server to an email?

Thanks.

Ipheuria

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
What version of Outlook and Windows 10 are you using? I just did the exact thing you are saying and it worked no problem. I'm using Outlook 2016 and Windows 10 Pro. Another way I do it is if you're already in the network location why not just copy the path from the address bar of Windows Explorer? Simply paste in your email and link is done. You may not have the address bar in Windows Explorer I know a lot of people dont. If you open a new window then go to View, Options, Change.... In the new window that opens go to the View tab and check Display full path in the title bar that should give you the address bar with the path.

DW82

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm using Outlook 2010 and Windows 10 Pro.

I can't copy the folder path because I'm inserting a link to the file. The drag method is the least cumbersome I am aware of. A co-worker says that it works on his computer too, so the question now is what is the problem with my settings? Bad install of windows? What is responsible for that right-click menu popping up? Outlook or Windows?

DW82

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
right click.png
I drug a file and let it attach it to the email. Then when I right-click dragged from the attached file to the body it gave the pop-up window. Also, if I right-click drag from windows explorer to the desktop it also gives me the window.. but from explorer to email body it does nothing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faiqarani