Just bought a SP3 - Can I obtain the free upgrade to Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello,
I know the last day for the free upgrade was the July 29 but on the web I've found several website claiming it is possible to obtain the upgrade also using the new ISO available after the Anniversary Update.
So I've downloaded the Media Creation Tool for Windws 10 and I've tried to upgrade using the Product Key from Windows 8.1 Pro on the SP3 but it didn't work.

Did I have any chanche to obtain this upgrade without buying a license?

Thank you.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK you cannot get the free upgrade now unless you use assistive technologies. This means that you will have to buy a copy of Windows 10 to upgrade your SP3 as Windows 10 requires a new license key. All that the existing key proves is that you have a legitimate version that can be upgraded.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I know the last day for the free upgrade was the July 29 but on the web I've found several website claiming it is possible to obtain the upgrade also using the new ISO available after the Anniversary Update.
So I've downloaded the Media Creation Tool for Windws 10 and I've tried to upgrade using the Product Key from Windows 8.1 Pro on the SP3 but it didn't work.

Did I have any chanche to obtain this upgrade without buying a license?

Thank you.

if you had upgraded in the past and then gone back to 8.1, then you could do the upgrade free. Now you can not

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
that would still be wrong - you had a whole year to upgrade and people dilly dallied over the free offer
I do agree that it's not right.
But, his was not a question of right or wrong, the question was if there was still a way.
He can either choose the moral high ground and not use it or he can opt for the path of moral turpitude by trying to sneak thru the expired free offer.

If he chooses the high ground, windows 10 AU heaven awaits him by paying $112. If he chooses to sneak thru, his wallet is safe ,but his sould will forever be tormented by the guilt of doing so.

:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos