1520 doesn't hold the charge

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I the 1520 and it was working fine now if I use it more the 5 minutes it shuts off even if the battery is full and it gets hot. After a few minutes I plug it in and it works fine what can I do?

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My issue is somewhat similar though it involves the camera. If I don't use the camera, the phone is fine. If I fire up the camera app, ANY camera app, the phone gets hot and suddenly shuts off. It comes back on with only 4%. It doesn't matter what the phone charge is at the time, after using the camera, it goes hot then shuts down and most of the time it can't turn back on until you plug it in to a charger then I see the phone is at 4% charge. I had an insider build. The issue with the camera has been ongoing for a month or so. I miss taking pictures so much I could cry.

I wanted to find out if it's a hardware issue before the AU so having some time, I got to tinkering. Troubleshooting steps so far.
I was reluctant to reset the phone or flash it so I worked with the OS that I had on at the time. I set it back to my region to turn off cortana, checked to see that the camera app was updated, disabled all 3rd party apps from running in the background, removed the cortana tile. Issue persisted.

I guess tweaking didn't do any good so time to kick it up a notch.
I reset the phone, restored backup .... issue persisted.
I reset the phone, did not restore backup, did not install 3rd party apps.... issue persisted. Updated camera app... issue persisted.

FINE, you want it the hard way 1520, Let's %$@#! do it the hard way then!!! Grrrrr.
I used the Microsoft Device Recovery software, and reverted to windowsphone 8.1 and GAWD I didn't know I missed the UI so much. You only think you remember what 8.1 interfaces are or think that w10 isn't a huge change until you go back. Those panorama interfaces!!! The easy one-handed navigation!!! Left-right navigation. Minutes ago I didn't mind hamburger menus in w10 mobile but after getting back to 8.1 I HATE HAMBURGERS!! I'll boycot Mcdonalds from now on, I swear! So with the actual test I fired up the camera... and the issue persisted. OMG, all that for nothing?!? I decided to just let it update the 8.1 and came back. Took a picture, ok. Took some video? Still working, and OH I have dolby 3d sound back! Sweet! Hey, it's not a hardware issue! Maybe I got a wonky insider build. Install the w10 update advisor and updated the phone to a production build of w10.

Issue came back? @#$! But wait there's a commulative update available. Maybe it can fix issues on this phone the way it fixed issues on my windows 10 AU on my PCs?

Ran the commulative update.... issue remains. I repeat, Issue remains.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My issue is somewhat similar though it involves the camera. If I don't use the camera, the phone is fine. If I fire up the camera app, ANY camera app, the phone gets hot and suddenly shuts off. It comes back on with only 4%. It doesn't matter what the phone charge is at the time, after using the camera, it goes hot then shuts down and most of the time it can't turn back on until you plug it in to a charger then I see the phone is at 4% charge. I had an insider build. The issue with the camera has been ongoing for a month or so. I miss taking pictures so much I could cry.

I wanted to find out if it's a hardware issue before the AU so having some time, I got to tinkering. Troubleshooting steps so far.
I was reluctant to reset the phone or flash it so I worked with the OS that I had on at the time. I set it back to my region to turn off cortana, checked to see that the camera app was updated, disabled all 3rd party apps from running in the background, removed the cortana tile. Issue persisted.

I guess tweaking didn't do any good so time to kick it up a notch.
I reset the phone, restored backup .... issue persisted.
I reset the phone, did not restore backup, did not install 3rd party apps.... issue persisted. Updated camera app... issue persisted.

FINE, you want it the hard way 1520, Let's %$@#! do it the hard way then!!! Grrrrr.
I used the Microsoft Device Recovery software, and reverted to windowsphone 8.1 and GAWD I didn't know I missed the UI so much. You only think you remember what 8.1 interfaces are or think that w10 isn't a huge change until you go back. Those panorama interfaces!!! The easy one-handed navigation!!! Left-right navigation. Minutes ago I didn't mind hamburger menus in w10 mobile but after getting back to 8.1 I HATE HAMBURGERS!! I'll boycot Mcdonalds from now on, I swear! So with the actual test I fired up the camera... and the issue persisted. OMG, all that for nothing?!? I decided to just let it update the 8.1 and came back. Took a picture, ok. Took some video? Still working, and OH I have dolby 3d sound back! Sweet! Hey, it's not a hardware issue! Maybe I got a wonky insider build. Install the w10 update advisor and updated the phone to a production build of w10.

Issue came back? @#$! But wait there's a commulative update available. Maybe it can fix issues on this phone the way it fixed issues on my windows 10 AU on my PCs?

Ran the commulative update.... issue remains. I repeat, Issue remains.

WOW what an ordeal... I would recommend keeping your WP 8.1 recovery files backed up. They should be under this directory.
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products\RM-xxxxx

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I have it backed up on my external storage. I don't know it this is from the Lumia device recovery before it got bumped since the Microsoft Device Recovery didn't appear to download anything, it already had the packages on my surface ready to go. It's either I stick with wp8.1 and go with the great camera ( I missed you lumia refocus, 3d audio, and great algorithms ) or update to w10 for continued skype support, SMS and phone notification syncing with my PC, and cortana but being resigned to never using the camera again. I'll miss out on taking great pictures and also vinci

Vinci_Photo_20160813231345.jpg

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I the 1520 and it was working fine now if I use it more the 5 minutes it shuts off even if the battery is full and it gets hot. After a few minutes I plug it in and it works fine what can I do?

how long have you had it? Did it recently start having any battery issues?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon