Cortana not working - 10 mobile

arjun169

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all... Ever since I updated from 8.1 to 10, I have not been able to use Cortana. I'm from India. I've checked the region and speech settings. They are all configured to India.

When I open Cortana I get the news,weather and other stuffs. But I'm not able to ask her things..it simply crashes..

Is this issue related to my mobile or is cortana broken for all?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

Might be sth only you are experiencing. Try one or two soft resets and if desperate enough, a hard reset.

Otherwise holding out for another update is the only option left

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

there was a certain procedure to follow, can't remember what it was exactly: download language or keyboard first before updating?

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
re:

Hi all... Ever since I updated from 8.1 to 10, I have not been able to use Cortana. I'm from India. I've checked the region and speech settings. They are all configured to India.

When I open Cortana I get the news,weather and other stuffs. But I'm not able to ask her things..it simply crashes..

Is this issue related to my mobile or is cortana broken for all?

You need to download an additional speech language (English UK) for speech recognition.English India should be the default speech language.
Restart your phone after installing additional speech language then go to Cortana.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

You need to download an additional speech language (English UK) for speech recognition.English India should be the default speech language.
Restart your phone after installing additional speech language then go to Cortana.

I was hoping you would answer :smile:

kk11bizz

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
re:

Hi All,
I am from India and i am also facing the same problem. After anniversary update cortana became dumb. Before update the language was English-India and now also. But there is no voice output from cortana... please do suggest some remedy

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Hi All,
I am from India and i am also facing the same problem. After anniversary update cortana became dumb. Before update the language was English-India and now also. But there is no voice output from cortana... please do suggest some remedy

check the post Rinsun made above

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
re:

Hi All,

English India does not support Speech Recognition.You need to install a speech language like I said above & Chintan has mentioned.
I had the same problem as you after 8.1 to 10 upgrade in March (my region is India) till I figured it out.

Last edited:

kk11bizz

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
re:

I have done it. Still cortana is dumb. I luv microsoft. When Siri is developing so much we should b ahead of it. I am dissapointed. Please solve it. I depend on cortana a lot as i am in mkt job. Pl give me solution

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
re:

I have done it. Still cortana is dumb. I luv microsoft. When Siri is developing so much we should b ahead of it. I am dissapointed. Please solve it. I depend on cortana a lot as i am in mkt job. Pl give me solution

Actually if you try setting up Cortana before you download & install the additional speech language it may not work.I found that I had to install the language and then set up Cortana.If your Speech to text works (mic in keyboard ) then Cortana should speak.For this I had to start all over again with a hard reset in March since I used Cortana a lot in 8.1 .
After that problem in March,I don't touch Cortana before I download English UK speech language in addition to default English India speech language.I don't know of any other method as I did all this by trial & error.
You may have to do the dreaded hard reset again.
Hope it works for you.

arjun169

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Thanks Rinsun!! It worked!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb