How to reset lumia 640 after failed Windows Mobile Device Recovery Tool?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I just tried reverting to an earlier version of windows 10 mobile, and it failed halfway through. Now my phone boots to this square icon thing and does nothing. When I hold down the power button as per the reset instructions, the phone takes about 20 seconds to turn off. It reboots to the square icon. The instructions then say to hold down the volume down button, but after 2 minutes it has not responded.

Is there a way to force it to reset without having to have a working operating system on it? How do I force it to install windows 8.1 again?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I just tried reverting to an earlier version of windows 10 mobile, and it failed halfway through. Now my phone boots to this square icon thing and does nothing. When I hold down the power button as per the reset instructions, the phone takes about 20 seconds to turn off. It reboots to the square icon. The instructions then say to hold down the volume down button, but after 2 minutes it has not responded.

Is there a way to force it to reset without having to have a working operating system on it? How do I force it to install windows 8.1 again?

There's the hard reset key sequence:

1 - unplug phone
2 - hold vol up and simultaneously plug charger
3 - keep holding until a ! mark appears
4 - leave button and follw the sequence one key once:
vol up, vol down, power, vol down
5 - gears should appear, you phone should replace last downlaoded build

If doens't work, plug your phone to a pc and use WDRT.
holding power button is soft reset, and is useless now. For all the rest, keep in touch and join forum, we can help you

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap