Has anyone else with a WP with 8 GB or less of internal storage had problems installing OS updates?

Drew Neilson

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I have a BLU WIN HD LTE X150Q and it only has 8 GB of internal storage. About a week ago I got a notification saying that there was an update available, but that Microsoft temporarily needs more space on my internal storage than I had available, and that I should move some apps and files to my SD card, or delete ones that I don't need. The problem was that the biggest apps on my internal storage were all part of the operating system and were therefore neither moveable to the SD card nor delete-able. Microsoft technical support determined that the solution was to hard-reset my phone, which would delete ALL of my data and therefore free up enough internal storage space for the update to download and install, and after installing the update, hard-reset my phone AGAIN and restore from a backup to recover my stuff. Now, I'm beginning to worry that I will have to do this EVERYTIME an OS update is available due to low internal storage space and due to OS-integrated apps that CAN'T be moved to my SD card or deleted.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a BLU WIN HD LTE X150Q and it only has 8 GB of internal storage. About a week ago I got a notification saying that there was an update available, but that Microsoft temporarily needs more space on my internal storage than I had available, and that I should move some apps and files to my SD card, or delete ones that I don't need. The problem was that the biggest apps on my internal storage were all part of the operating system and were therefore neither moveable to the SD card nor delete-able. Microsoft technical support determined that the solution was to hard-reset my phone, which would delete ALL of my data and therefore free up enough internal storage space for the update to download and install, and after installing the update, hard-reset my phone AGAIN and restore from a backup to recover my stuff. Now, I'm beginning to worry that I will have to do this EVERYTIME an OS update is available due to low internal storage space and due to OS-integrated apps that CAN'T be moved to my SD card or deleted.

Has anyone else had this problem?

That could happen ONCE in a phone lifetime, elsewhere everyone of us with 8 GB should post it everyday and fullfill the forum!!!. But that isn't.
I bet you got one or 2 apps growing to 1 GB, like whatsapp, outlook, etc.
Usually, space decreases after an app update, but if doesn't, only way is making a backup, hard reset with restore, then update.

EDIT, did you already tried celaning Edge cache and Storage Temp?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The factory reset is required in usually 2 cases - one is when a lot of issues have cropped up such that the phone doesn't work at all
Or when a major update has to be done but the space is limited and system has taken too much storage.

So for the monthly updates, don't factory reset. for major updates like the Anniversary Update, you may need to factory reset if and only if you cannot make any more space

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99