activate windows after a hardware change

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have changed my motherboard and my cpu and now windows is asking me to activate but I had a free upgrade to win 10 and I know longer have a product key for my windows 8 which I upgraded from.

Please help

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You will probably need to call Support to get it reactivated. Windows sees it as a new machine due to the motherboard change. On the Activation window there should be a phone number to call, based on your country. Sometimes you can complete the process by prompts to an auto attendant, and sometimes you talk to a live person.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
You probably do still have the old key for W8 registered to your Win account somewhere? Worth getting if you can, as this is still a good plan B if your Windows registration data online gets mucked up somehow. Remember, if you have an OEM version of Windows (ie. It came with your PC) you will need to buy a new copy of Windows as it is not transferrable to a new PC (so one where the hardware is changed significantly, such as yours). Only retail boxed copies can be moved to another PC.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have changed my motherboard and my cpu and now windows is asking me to activate but I had a free upgrade to win 10 and I know longer have a product key for my windows 8 which I upgraded from.

Please help

How to re-activate Windows 10 after a hardware change | Windows Central

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap