Lumia 950 randomly restarting, sometimes black screen on wake, sometimes no touch on wake. why?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I've started to have a number of debilitating problems with my lumia 950, which is a shame because they are the same problems that made me leave android for the WP platform. To start off, my phone has been randomly restarting. The restarting seems to have started after the anniversary update version 1607. There's nothing common between one reset to the next, just that they become more frequent as battery life reduces (starts at around 80%). This is also sometimes accompanied by a streak yellow across the screen. I don't know if this is relevant or not.

My second issue, which has been happening the longest, is that the screen will sometimes be completely off when I wake up the phone. I will put the phone into sleep with the power button, and when I wake it up with the power button the screen is black. I know the phone is awake because windows hello will try to sign me in. I have reason to believe that the touch digitizer is also still working. This is fixed either by trying to sleep cycle the phone or by holding down the power button until the phone prompts me to power it off. This seems to wake the screen up. the screen also sometimes wakes up when windows hello signs me in, but this is rare. This problem has become less frequent since the anniversary update.

My third problem is that sometimes the touch digitizer doesn't work on wake. This is similar to my last problem, except that it always goes away by sleep cycling my phone. This problem has also become less prominent since the anniversary update.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably going to take my phone to a windows store this weekend to see it they can do anything about it, but I'm not hopeful exactly. I've had bad experiences with my last windows phone, a lumia 930/icon, so I'm starting to lose trust with Microsoft.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've started to have a number of debilitating problems with my lumia 950, which is a shame because they are the same problems that made me leave android for the WP platform. To start off, my phone has been randomly restarting. The restarting seems to have started after the anniversary update version 1607. There's nothing common between one reset to the next, just that they become more frequent as battery life reduces (starts at around 80%). This is also sometimes accompanied by a streak yellow across the screen. I don't know if this is relevant or not.

My second issue, which has been happening the longest, is that the screen will sometimes be completely off when I wake up the phone. I will put the phone into sleep with the power button, and when I wake it up with the power button the screen is black. I know the phone is awake because windows hello will try to sign me in. I have reason to believe that the touch digitizer is also still working. This is fixed either by trying to sleep cycle the phone or by holding down the power button until the phone prompts me to power it off. This seems to wake the screen up. the screen also sometimes wakes up when windows hello signs me in, but this is rare. This problem has become less frequent since the anniversary update.

My third problem is that sometimes the touch digitizer doesn't work on wake. This is similar to my last problem, except that it always goes away by sleep cycling my phone. This problem has also become less prominent since the anniversary update.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably going to take my phone to a windows store this weekend to see it they can do anything about it, but I'm not hopeful exactly. I've had bad experiences with my last windows phone, a lumia 930/icon, so I'm starting to lose trust with Microsoft.

try a factory reset with no restore
If that does not work at all, then take it for the repairs/replacement

Factory Reset is Done through Settings > About > Reset your phone (8 & 8.1) or Settings > System > About > Reset your phone (W10M).

• You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery. You do lose data, but get your phone back. Sign into your Microsoft Account

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

fmanders

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same issue.
The screen sometimes briefly flashes with a yellowish/greenish band on the screen (just as if the screen driver crashes), then the screen goes black and won't turn on again until I do a soft reset. Sometimes the phone will reset by itself.

Already did a hard reset, and switched to Insider Preview Ring to see if that solves it, but sadly not.

Also, as you noticed, the issue increases if the battery is low. Then the problem occurs within minutes (or sometimes seconds) after restarting the phone.

I'm wondering if it is a hardware problem as it doesn't seem to be a common problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99