Lumia 950 XL MMS UK configuration on Vodafone

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

HI , My wife has a Lumia 950 XL on UK Vodafone network and the MMS is not working. She cant send mms or download MMS pictures. The internet works fine though. We have created a new MMS APN with settings from Vodafone website, however still not luck. The phone is patched to the latest settings.

Vodafone web chat for over 3 hours was a joke, not help whatsoever. We used the details direcly from Vodafone website. Strangely the Ip address is set as 212.183.137.012 which doesn't look correct, although we have also tried with 212.183.137.12. Also should MMS work over wi-fi

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
HI , My wife has a Lumia 950 XL on UK Vodafone network and the MMS is not working. She cant send mms or download MMS pictures. The internet works fine though. We have created a new MMS APN with settings from Vodafone website, however still not luck. The phone is patched to the latest settings.

Vodafone web chat for over 3 hours was a joke, not help whatsoever. We used the details direcly from Vodafone website. Strangely the Ip address is set as 212.183.137.012 which doesn't look correct, although we have also tried with 212.183.137.12. Also should MMS work over wi-fi

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick

As I see it, the carrier has to give the correct settings for MMS, so maybe you can visit a local vodafone store?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

nickth2

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Chintan, Thanks for the reply. The reason I am posting here is because Vodafone are next to useless, that is why I tried the web chat with them. Again it was a waste of time after hours. I was trying to gauge whether someone else may have the settings to share on having a similar issue. The staff in shops don't have any clue about Windows phones, mostly only IPhone or Android.

From what I gather the account is fine, we cant send or receive MMS even although we have put the settings in as advised by Vodafone website. Since its never worked we cant confirm if its a Vodafone issue or perhaps a Windows update. As I have mentioned, internet is fine as is normal text.

Worse case option is to perform a factory reset, however its a bit of a long shot. From my searching it appears people have had similar issues, I was just hoping for someone with a similar issue could comment. Thanks , Nick

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Chintan, Thanks for the reply. The reason I am posting here is because Vodafone are next to useless, that is why I tried the web chat with them. Again it was a waste of time after hours. I was trying to gauge whether someone else may have the settings to share on having a similar issue. The staff in shops don't have any clue about Windows phones, mostly only IPhone or Android.

From what I gather the account is fine, we cant send or receive MMS even although we have put the settings in as advised by Vodafone website. Since its never worked we cant confirm if its a Vodafone issue or perhaps a Windows update. As I have mentioned, internet is fine as is normal text.

Worse case option is to perform a factory reset, however its a bit of a long shot. From my searching it appears people have had similar issues, I was just hoping for someone with a similar issue could comment. Thanks , Nick

Let me see if some of my colleagues can help out here

nickth2

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, we used the Vodafone UK MMS settings below, without success.

Enter APN
If you're on a pay monthly price plan, key in wap.vodafone.co.uk.
If you're on a pay as you go price plan, key in pp.vodafone.co.uk.
Enter username
Press the field below "Username" and key in wap.
Enter password
Press the field below "Password" and key in wap.
Select authentication type
Press the drop down list below "Type of sign-in info".
Press None.
Enter IP address
Press the field below "Proxy server" and key in 212.183.137.012.
Enter port number
Press the field below "Proxy port" and key in 8799.
Enter MMSC
Press the field below "MMSC (URL)" and key in http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms.
Save data connection

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Would like to help Chintan, but I gave up with MMS and used Skype instead.

I used to be on Vodafone but gave up with them as well a few months ago, I don't really ever remember using an MMS on my 1520 (I think I remember trying it without success), as mentioned I have used Skype for the last few years as a means to send and receive pictures to my family.

Hello Nick, I am on BT now and my boy is on EE, so I just tried, I added a picture to a message and sent it, it appeared to go, my boy is stuck on downloading content, my boy then sent me a picture in a text and it worked. So I am guessing my phone and carrier is working OK, but his isn't, will have another try just in case it was too large an image.

But SKYPE works......................

EDIT:

OK Just sent a smaller picture and my boy replied almost immediately that he got it so maybe there is an issue of size on MMS on some carriers.

Did I mention Skype... You shouldn't need to do all of that stuff from Vodafone to send MMS

What phone have you got?

Last edited:

nickth2

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Bobvfr/Chintan, I appreciate your quick assitance and suggestions. I have a Lumia 950 XL. I understand we can use Skype and Whatsapp, however its not really a solution, especially being a techie. Anyway your tests got me thinking regarding some other posts I had seen, specifically regarding message size. So, to cut to the chase, MMS is now working ( hurray !!! ). Firstly Vodafone's ip address was wrong, it quoted the last Ip octet as 012 and NOT 2. Also, bizzarely the internal file size default appears to be approx 1mb, we found this out as we could send/recieve an 800kb picture no problems between Lumia 950 and Iphone 6 Plus.

It would then fail with bigger pictures, so I send the maximum size to 10,240kb ( 10mb ) and all default pictures are sending and receving fine. It does seem to send quicker with mobile data on and wi-fi off. Hurray I now have MMS and a happy wife , hopefully this may help other people.

And yes I will still use Skype and Whatsapp when needed. : ) My thanks again to you both, much appreciated, and shame on Vodafone for pathetic service and knowledge.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
It seems to me as if you have got the wrong information. The proxy server shouldn't have a zero in it for Vodafone. It should be .12.

Try this page. My mate who works at CPW has just sent me the link.
Vodafone APN Settings | Geek Squad

This is the latest Windows 10 Mobile settings APN, so he tells me. Let me know how you get on.

It's even got screen images��

Best of luck

nickth2

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys
Thanks for the update. As I said I managed to get it working as per my previous post. I used the settings below. I also had to set my maximum message size to 10,240 ( 10mb ). The 12 I was refering to was the last part of the ip address, and not the proxy port. Anyway all good, now , thanks a million for the advise and suggestions.

Find" Add an MMS APN"
Slide your finger downwards starting from the top of the screen.
Press All settings.
Press Network & wireless.
Press Mobile & SIM.
Press SIM settings.
Press Add an MMS APN.
Enter APN
If you're on a pay monthly price plan, key in wap.vodafone.co.uk.
If you're on a pay as you go price plan, key in pp.vodafone.co.uk.
Enter username
Press the field below "Username" and key in wap.
Enter password
Press the field below "Password" and key in wap.
Select authentication type
Press the drop down list below "Type of sign-in info".
Press None.
Enter IP address
Press the field below "Proxy server" and key in 212.183.137.12.
Enter port number
Press the field below "Proxy port" and key in 8799.
Enter MMSC
Press the field below "MMSC (URL)" and key in http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms.
Save data connection
Press Save.
Press OK.
Return to the home screen
Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Glad you got it worked out. As you know it only takes a dot or number out of sequence.

Damned annoying though as these should be setup when you insert the sim card. Most carriers in the UK don't seem to worry about us 'unusual' non lemming types. My friend who provided the Link, comes across this quite often where, we, the end user have to set up ourselves. O2 are pretty good, but the network should pick it up when you first turn on with your new sim. It used to come as a text message.

Glad to here you got it sorted, and welcome to the forum for oddballs ;-) and enjoy the guilty little secret of W10M....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap