How do I prevent automatic muting of the microphone in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have followed all standard procedures. At least three Dell technicians have worked on this problem for about a total of 15 or so hours. They have updated both Windows 10 and the (Realtek) microphone driver. I am trying to use the speech function of a language teaching program. I can answer one or two question on my microphone, and then it mutes itself.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have followed all standard procedures. At least three Dell technicians have worked on this problem for about a total of 15 or so hours. They have updated both Windows 10 and the (Realtek) microphone driver. I am trying to use the speech function of a language teaching program. I can answer one or two question on my microphone, and then it mutes itself.

and the issue only happens on that program? Does the mic mute when using other programs like skype?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

prschoef

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I do not use Skype. Rosetta Stone (the language teaching program) has worked for over six months. It does not matter if I am in that program, I can display the mic and its level (from the Sounds icon in lower right corner) and I will find the mic is off and level is at zero. I activate the mic, set its level at 80 or 90 percent, and Apply and/or OK. After a few minutes, the mic turns off & the level goes to zero.

prschoef

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Numerous Dell Support technicians have spent at least 15 hours trying to fix this. Finally one did a very thorough cleanup and malware scan. About six problems were found after 4 hours of scanning. They were removed and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa