Image backup and restore on SP4

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I recently had my hardware replaced due to issues with charging. Microsoft sent me a brand new SP4, and I need to ship back the defective one. I tried using the image backup/restore feature in Windows 10 (Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)). I spoke to a technician at the Microsoft store who told me that's really not what this feature is for. He told me I would need to use a third party tool to move my image from my old SP4 to my new one (so I do not need to reinstall/reconfigure all my apps).

Anyone know of any image backup/restore software that works with SP4? Freeware would be great but willing to pay as well. I would love to just have a golden image that I can always restore to if there are issues with my PC (or I want to just refresh every so often for security reasons).

The other consideration is with licensing and hardware security. Will an image of my old SP4 just run on my new SP4? Isn't the old image a different Win10 license that is not supposed to run on other hardware? I know there are also issues with TPM and Bitlocker that I don't completely understand.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I've used acronyms true image a dozen times at least to restore SP2, 3, &4. You have to know how to get the USB boot to kick off (read up first), and if you leave encryption on the backups are the size of the entire drive but it has worked very well. One further step is that you need a USB hub so you can have a USB boot, a USB recovery drive with image, and a USB mouse for easiest use.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I recently had my hardware replaced due to issues with charging. Microsoft sent me a brand new SP4, and I need to ship back the defective one. I tried using the image backup/restore feature in Windows 10 (Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)). I spoke to a technician at the Microsoft store who told me that's really not what this feature is for. He told me I would need to use a third party tool to move my image from my old SP4 to my new one (so I do not need to reinstall/reconfigure all my apps).

Anyone know of any image backup/restore software that works with SP4? Freeware would be great but willing to pay as well. I would love to just have a golden image that I can always restore to if there are issues with my PC (or I want to just refresh every so often for security reasons).

The other consideration is with licensing and hardware security. Will an image of my old SP4 just run on my new SP4? Isn't the old image a different Win10 license that is not supposed to run on other hardware? I know there are also issues with TPM and Bitlocker that I don't completely understand.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2