My Lumia 950 drains battery by 10% / hour since last week, even after Windows Device Recovery Tool.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My Lumia 950 will not charge or be recognized by the pc until I restart. I have done a Hard Reset (turn device off and on with volume down, followed by volume up, down, power, volume down again) and Windows Device Recovery. My last attempt restoring my Lumia 950 was installing the latest Release Preview of the insider program. I was not installing any insider updates before.
The battery drain is quite consistent. If everything is turned off (wifi, bluetooth, glance, cellular data, no apps open in background) it almost uses the same amount as using the device, roughly 10% drain per hour.
Any advise what to do?

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 950 will not charge or be recognized by the pc until I restart.

this could be because of corrupted drivers, you could reboot your phone when connected in order to reinstall default drivers. that should fix it.

My last attempt restoring my Lumia 950 was installing the latest Release Preview of the insider program. I was not installing any insider updates before.
The battery drain is quite consistent. If everything is turned off (wifi, bluetooth, glance, cellular data, no apps open in background) it almost uses the same amount as using the device, roughly 10% drain per hour.

it is recommended to start afresh after a hard reset , to prevent any bugs. Your battery drain could be because of background syncing of one drive. Photos, mails ,appdata are by default set to sync and upload to one drive to and fro. so could be a reason behind a rapid drain, also i would request you to monitor the behavior for a few days as these devices take a while to sync and set up after a hard reset and consume a lot of battery at first because of background tasks setting up the phone which is not visible to us.

If you need additional help or want to reply to this thread , learn how to join windows central.

Last edited:

Gerben1993

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for your reaction. I have used Windows Device Recovery Tool to restore the firmware from the latest Preview Release back to build 1130.136 (Settings->Advanced Info->Core build ID), and started fresh. Currently, my Lumia 950 has found an update (10.0.14393.321), which is now downloading and installing. The phone still isn't charging when power cable is inserted, but only after shutting down and powering up.

I do not completely understand what you meant with "reboot when connected". With reboot I think of turning the device off and on. For the word "Connected" do you mean by Cellular Data, WiFi or PC?

UPDATE: OK, I now understand doing a reboot while connected to the power supply in order to restore battery drainage. I have rebooted several times, but it still doesn't wan't to charge without having to restart

Last edited:

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
by mentioning rebooting when connected i meant to restart your device when connected to your PC in case you have corrupted drivers which were preventing windows from recognizing your device as you mentioned in the OP.

further if you are still having the issue with the charging i believe you should strongly consider visiting a nearby authorized service center for an inspection as right now we have done what we could and the experts at the service center could explain you more about this unusual behavior of your device .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes