Ethernet connection goes on and off all day with no apparant reason?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a new HP desktop with windows 10 factory installed. I have a Comcast IP with an Xfinity Wifi modem/router. I'm using a wired Ethernet connection and have already replaced with new to see if that was the problem.

When I'm online, I very frequently get a "you're not connected to a network" error page. Within seconds the page resumes, but any action I may have been taking are lost and have to be redone.

My Ethernet in my computer settings shows Ethernet connected, then seconds later, Ethernet not connected. This is happening all the time. Also getting an intermittent 'network cable unplugged', but it is plugged in securely.

Since I'm not using Wifi for anything, I've disabled many Wifi settings. My Family Controller Network Adapter checks out as working fine, but it is intermittent with this Ethernet issue. Nothing I've tried has helped, any advice?

I just had to do the Captcha 3 times just to send this question.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried another computer connected to the same Ethernet cable?
Often this would indicate a short somewhere along the connection (could be anywhere, from inside the computer, to the modem), or a damaged cable/connector (usually damage would be visible though, and not cause an intermittent connection).

Also, use both Windows Update and HP Support Assistant (or go to HP.com) to check for latest drivers and updates. HP Support Assistant is the easiest way to get driver updates (when they're not available through Windows Update), although you may want to check the release notes for drivers on HP.com, to see if there's any additional information about your specific issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linkzero1979