Trying to restore backup on Lumia 550 fails due "we're unable to connect to a network.."

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi, I created a backup on my Lumia 550 before updating to build 494. I have been unable to restore the backup and it always fails after entering the verification code with a "We're unable to connect to a network message....."

The phone is connected to a wifi network and has mobile data enabled. It obviously connects to the the associated MS account to find the backup in the first place so I don't think my network is the issue.

I have tried soft/hard resetting, pulling the battery and re-installing the software using device recovery tool but the restore always fails at the same point.

So either it's server-side (I'm doing this over the w/e - maybe there's maintenance or something?) or the update borked something?

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Trying to restore backup on Lumia 550 fails due "we're unable to connect to a network.."

he phone is connected to a wifi network and has mobile data enabled.

Turn off mobile data and then try. could be a glitch because of both the services running together.

Additionally is there any error code that pops up? Usually the device never makes a successful copy of the backup if it is "borked" / broken / incomplete due to various reasons. It is most likely the case of unstable wifi/mobile network that dies when the backup reaches a certain percentage.

If you need additional help or want to reply to this thread , learn how to join windows central.

Onum

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: Trying to restore backup on Lumia 550 fails due "we're unable to connect to a network.."

I've tried both enabled, wifi only and data only with the same result. There is no error code, just a pop-up message about not being able to make a network connection - it does suggest that the problem might be "at the other end" - as it was a big holiday in the US I wondered if the service was down for maintenance perhaps as I had difficulties downloading an MS app from the store as well (both before and after updating) although app updates still worked.

Annonyingly, once into this scenario you can't access any other function on the phone so to change wifi/data settings you HAVE to select "Don't Restore" and go through the rest of the setup just to do a hard-reset again to get back to this point :eck:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6