How do I get rid off a yellow box around my Nokia Lumia apps?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I believe that I was setting the narrator mode and now my phone seems frozen as a yellow box appears around any app I want to open.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest you turn the narrator off, and after doing so, do a soft reset.

to do a soft reset, Press power button, and volume down button together, for like 13 seconds till it vibrates and restarts.
it might solve your problem. :)

lemme know if it helps.

also, please feel free to join the Windows Central Community, as here, we might just be able to help you better. :)

alfredoverre

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
Many thanks for your reply. I solved the problem holding together the volume up and the home button. One more thing please, can u please tell me how can I disable the headphone mode on my phone? Basically the only way to listen to music or to get a phone call is through the headset. Otherwise I cannot hear anything. I tried to insert another set of headphone, but it does not work. I do appreciate your support and happy new year.

Regards

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for your reply. I solved the problem holding together the volume up and the home button. One more thing please, can u please tell me how can I disable the headphone mode on my phone? Basically the only way to listen to music or to get a phone call is through the headset. Otherwise I cannot hear anything. I tried to insert another set of headphone, but it does not work. I do appreciate your support and happy new year.

Regards

Well, i am really glad that i was of any help to you. :)

And about your headphone thing, didn't the soft reset work for you? Restarting like that should have worked. But still, you can check it out in the gadgets app.
Yes, there is a Microsoft app installed in your phone called as "gadgets". If you don't have it, install it from the store. This app tells you which devices you are connected to. It will show if you are connected to a wired headset or no. You can even change settings and choose apps for which the headset should work and for which it should not. Check it once.

And in spite of all the attempts', if you see that the wired headset is shown connected to the phone, i guess it must be a hardware issue. The circuit inside the phone is to blame then probably. Not sure.

Lemme know what happens after you do as i said.

Also, tell me, when you turn the volume up or down, does it show as "headphone" volume or norma ringer and notification and media and apps? If it shows the latter, then probably your speakers have stopped to work.
Also, when on phone calls, try to put the phone om loudspeaker mode. Then see if it works. It will make a lot of things clear. :)

Always feel free to ask. Happy new year. :) and thanks for joining windows central. :D

alfredoverre

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
I rebooted the phone and I checked the Gadget app, but the phone is still in headphones mode. However, when I receive or I make a phone call, the loud speaker works and so I do not need to use the headphones. Unfortunately I cannot use the Bluetooth.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I rebooted the phone and I checked the Gadget app, but the phone is still in headphones mode. However, when I receive or I make a phone call, the loud speaker works and so I do not need to use the headphones. Unfortunately I cannot use the Bluetooth.

Hi, before looking to send it for a repair it's definitely worth trying a hard reset.
If a hard reset does not solve your issue then this would point to a hardware issue.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I reset the phone through the setting app>about>reset, but I did not solve the problem. Is this what u mean for a hard reset?
Hi, there are two ways of doing the hard reset. 1. the way you did it settings>about>reset and 2. using the key combination if the phone does not load fully.
I have looked your posts and can't see what phone you have?
Also what OS, it looks to be Windows 10 mobile (because of the gadget app), but is it official or one of the Insider builds?

Last edited:

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest use the lumia recovery tool. Not just hard reset. Use the tool, reset your phone. Try to call before upgrading to the latest version of windows. If the microphone is working, then it means it is the insider preview thats been bothering. If it works well, then juat update phone normally. No insider.
Google lumia recovery tool and download it from the Microsoft site.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Nokia lumia 720 with Windows 8.1. It has been also suggested me to run the Google recovery tool. What do u think? Thanks for your help..

oh, you should do it. and it is not google Lumia recovery tool. what I meant was, go to google and then look for Lumia recovery tool.
anyway, I shall post the link here itself.
gimme a minute.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Nokia lumia 720 with Windows 8.1. It has been also suggested me to run the Google recovery tool. What do u think? Thanks for your help..
Hi, the link given by Tejas is for the 'Windows Device Recovery Tool'.
You may already be aware, but just to advise the tool wipes your phone.
Also using the tool may give you an option to update the firmware (if not already on the latest).
Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos