Power button always pressed.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi. My new phone was just broken, so I decided to switch back to my Nokia Lumia 720. So I just put it on charge, and noticed a strange thing: battery charging indicator was always present, and not disappearing after some seconds. But I didn't give it so mush attention. Then, when my phone switched on automatically (battery was good charged) i noticed that the power/lock button was unusable. In fact, it acts like I'm keeping him pressed. If I don't touch my phone for a pair of minutes, the screen switches off, and the only way I can put it on again is unmounting the phone, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I can't even perform a soft reset.
And if I just press "volume up" button, the phone takes a screenshot.
So I guessed that the problem may be caused by the buttons strip inside of the phone.
Then I tried unmounting the phone, disconnecting buttons strip and putting the phone on charge (to turn it on without the need to press any button).
And the problem was still there.
So I finally got two ideas:
- when the strips are disconnected, the power button acts like pressed because nokia decided it. Maybe switching to new strips could help me getting it working back again.
- there's something that's damaged inside my phone's hardware. And it will be a too high price for kinda phone.

So I guess: if I'll buy a new buttons strip from ebay (they're sold at a very low price), and try to replace the old one, can I solve my problem? Or there's something else I could do to repair it, without sending it to my phone repairer?

Thanks in advice.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi. My new phone was just broken, so I decided to switch back to my Nokia Lumia 720. So I just put it on charge, and noticed a strange thing: battery charging indicator was always present, and not disappearing after some seconds. But I didn't give it so mush attention. Then, when my phone switched on automatically (battery was good charged) i noticed that the power/lock button was unusable. In fact, it acts like I'm keeping him pressed. If I don't touch my phone for a pair of minutes, the screen switches off, and the only way I can put it on again is unmounting the phone, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I can't even perform a soft reset.
And if I just press "volume up" button, the phone takes a screenshot.
So I guessed that the problem may be caused by the buttons strip inside of the phone.
Then I tried unmounting the phone, disconnecting buttons strip and putting the phone on charge (to turn it on without the need to press any button).
And the problem was still there.
So I finally got two ideas:
- when the strips are disconnected, the power button acts like pressed because nokia decided it. Maybe switching to new strips could help me getting it working back again.
- there's something that's damaged inside my phone's hardware. And it will be a too high price for kinda phone.

So I guess: if I'll buy a new buttons strip from ebay (they're sold at a very low price), and try to replace the old one, can I solve my problem? Or there's something else I could do to repair it, without sending it to my phone repairer?

Thanks in advice.

I have had a similar issue with my 720. I don't know what happened, I pressed the power button continuously for a minute when I had this problem, and after that, managed to do a soft reset. it worked.
but I believe in your case, it is most likely a hardware issue. so, changing the strip might help you actually. but I am from India. and the place where I am from, I get a lot of cheap streetside repairs shops who do such work for dirt cheap prices. so if you are able to find such a person who can do it for cheap, then get it done from there. coz no matter what you say, professionals are professionals. ;)

anyway, good luck with it. I hope it gets solved. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Let us know if the new strip fixes the issue.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte