Surface Pro 2- Upgrade to W10 fails.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So I just got my Surface Pro 2 today. 8gb ram, 256GB ssd.
Before I bought it it was factory reset, so I set it up, and it booted into Windows 8.1 fine.
First thing I did was upgrade to Windows 10. It downloaded everything fine, got to 24% completed update, then flashed to the Surface logo and stayed there.
I thought that might be part of the upgrade process, so I left it for about two hours.
After that tried resetting it and such, but it just hangs on the Surface screen.

I was able to reset it back to factory settings.
Any idea why using the Upgrade for assistive technologies keeps failing?

I have a W10 USB boot drive. If I try to do a clean instal of W10, will I need an activation key?

Thanks for any help.

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
What exactly do you mean by "Upgrade for assistive technologies"? Please elaborate.

Did you attempt the upgrade via the Media Creation tool? If not, I suggest you download the Media Creation tool here ( Direct Link to Media Creation Tool ) and use it to create a bootable drive for the full version of Windows 10 (not the home basic). If you get into a situation where the setup gets stuck at checking for updates, following Arli Love's answer here ( Windows 10 Setup stuck at checking updates - Microsoft Community ) to get it to move past that non-stop update check.

I ran into the latter situation too just recently when I was doing a fresh restore of my Surface Pro 2. Used the Microsoft Fix It tool to bypass those non-stop check for updates and got Windows 10 freshly installed on my Surface Pro 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb