Android connected to virtual wifi network on Windows 10 but with slow internet

hweel_nat

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, apologies if I posted this in the wrong place but this is my first time here and also didn't know which other forum to post in! Don't know if I'll get a reply but just trying my luck here and a big thank you in advance if I do get a reply :)

I use a USB modem for my internet and share the internet with my android phone by creating a virtual wifi network using command prompt and the netsh wlan hostednetwork method. It usually works fine. This time, my android is connected but the internet connection is really slow - only messaging apps like whatsapp works (but limited - only the text messages come in and I'm unable to download images); youtube refuses to load and asks me to check my network connection. Any suggestions for this? The internet is running smoothly on my PC (Windows 10) and my android connects well with other wifi sources.

Have tried looking at all the network adapters and it seems that all of them are already updated and are all enabled. Have also tried turning off the firewall but nothing seems to be working... Signal strength appears to be strong on my phone.

Thank you very much!!

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, what network adapters do you have?
Realtek, Atheros, Intel etc?

Also have you tried increasing the frames or using jumbo frames (presuming you have these features) under the advanced tab in the adapter properties in device manager?

In terms of bandwidth mode are you on 20 Mhz only or both 20_40 Mhz?

Lastly preamble - short and long or just long?

hweel_nat

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Hello! Thank you for taking time to look at my question!! Really appreciate your help!
I'm actually not very well-versed in computer terms but I think it's a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter. Hmm I'm not really sure what those frames are so nope, haven't tried that yet. And sorry, but how do I check the bandwidth mode? As for the preamble, it says 802.11b Preamble - Long and Short. I don't know if this helps or if it's related, but when I run "netsh wlan show interfaces" on command prompt (admin), the Qualcomm Adapter appears and its state is reflected as "disconnected".
Oh and I think I should clarify - I can only receive text messages on whatsapp (or other similar apps) when connected to wifi - it is unable to download images. Thanks once again for your help!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello! Thank you for taking time to look at my question!! Really appreciate your help!
I'm actually not very well-versed in computer terms but I think it's a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter. Hmm I'm not really sure what those frames are so nope, haven't tried that yet. And sorry, but how do I check the bandwidth mode? As for the preamble, it says 802.11b Preamble - Long and Short. I don't know if this helps or if it's related, but when I run "netsh wlan show interfaces" on command prompt (admin), the Qualcomm Adapter appears and its state is reflected as "disconnected".
Oh and I think I should clarify - I can only receive text messages on whatsapp (or other similar apps) when connected to wifi - it is unable to download images. Thanks once again for your help!

No problem at all :)

Interesting it's connecting with 802.11b, do you have drop down options where it says 80211b preamble - long and short?

As that chipset is supposed to support 802.11b,g and n standards (the latter being the fastest).

To check your bandwidth mode, it's usually listed in the advanced tab where you can see the preamble mode.

However what is displayed in the advanced tab varies from wireless adapter to wireless adapter.

As you can see below.

Asus adapter.PNGTP Link Usb Adapter.PNG

Also do you have a router or it's a prepaid usb adapter?

Lastly which OS are you running?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3