Window's recovery tool's attempt ends in failure every time

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So, before we get into too much detail. I've tried soft resetting it based on guidelines I found on the nokia website and hard-resetting, also.

The phone turns on, but only goes to a red Nokia screen. I've downloaded the window's recovery tool and after it downloads its initial package it asks me to download the firmware. Once it begins downloading, it abruptly stops half-way through the process and the phone freezes. So I need to do a soft reset just to turn it back on. Hard-resetting has done nothing as well as soft resetting.

I am stuck at this red nokia screen.

I've tried every usb port, multiple usb cords, including the one the phone came with. I am really all out of options at this point.

The nokia software recovery tool does not recognize my phone and the windows recovery tool doesn't recognize it either but it is okay because I can click a different option.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I know you don't want to 'get into too much detail', however you haven't given the model of your phone (other than a Nokia).
There is a post that I've linked to below which describes a similar situation with a Lumia 520, so assuming phone is a Lumia try checking that out.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-520/340452-lumia-dont-boot-red-screen.html

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Last edited:

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I know you don't want to 'get into too much detail', however haven't given the model of your phone (other than a Nokia).
There is a post that I've linked to below which describes a similar situation with a Lumia 520, so assuming phone is a Lumia try checking that out.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-520/340452-lumia-dont-boot-red-screen.html

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I know you don't want to 'get into too much detail', however haven't given the model of your phone (other than a Nokia).

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If WDRT does not recognise it the first time (when you connect the device to your computer using USb and run WDRT) it gives you a secondary option to try if it fails. Did you do that?

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I used the WDRT as well on an Icon and after a few attempts where it failed to recognize the device it finally worked. Once it got the firmware back on the device I was able to get it up running (had to pause to charge to 40% or more before it would continue) and then recovered from a Onedrive backup. Took a few hours but the phone came entirely back to life. I found it funny (after the pain of worrying it was dead) how many iPhone folks I know who have just had to go out and buy new devices because the tools for recovery are so scarce.

To be clear it took a few tries to get WDRT to work. I think I had to have the program running, then connect the phone (not the reverse) and then have it tell me it couldn't recognize the usb device and step to the screen after that where it asked if I wanted to "force" the firmware/image onto the unrecognized device and once I did that it began to get back to normal. But I'm not an expert on this tool for sure. It did work faithfully.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb