OneNote Not Syncing on Lumia 640 - Error Code 80070005

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

After editing an existing note in the OneNote app on my Lumia 640 this morning, OneNote subsequently gave me an error message saying that it "Can't sync". After pressing 'View Sync Status', I get the following information:

"Result:
You don't have permission to edit this file and the sync has stopped. Contact the owner of the file to request approval and then try again. Error Code = 80070005"

It was working fine yesterday, and the only thing I've done since then was to was to edit the aforementioned note.

I've restarted my phone twice, and reset the OneDrive app (using 'Menu' - 'Settings' - 'Options' - 'Rest App'). I've also sync'd my Microsoft account (using 'All Settings' - 'Accounts' - 'Email + Accounts' - 'Microsoft account' - 'sync'). I haven't tried a hard reset because the Windows Phone Settings Back-Up system doesn't store all the settings, so it's a very inconvenient process that might not even work anyway.

Is there anything else I can do to solve this problem?

I recently read that Microsoft have stopped making smartphones as of late-2016, so I sincerely hope that this isn't a result of them removing support for their devices. I know Facebook recently removed support for Windows Phones with respect to their Messenger app, so I accept that I'll probably have to switch to Android by the end of this year. However, I use the OneNote app A LOT, so I need to keep my notes up-to-date in the meantime.

Thanks for any help!

stepbystep

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Me also. Just last night too, can't find a fix, tried a soft reset and a few other things, reluctant to try anything too drastic. Very strange. I keep all my notes on the go and this is incredibly frustrating...!

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm using Windows Phone 8.1. I'd love to use Windows 10, but Microsoft hasn't released a version that'll run on the Lumia 640 without using Windows Insider (which I'm reluctant to use, as I've heard that the WI version of W10 is very buggy).

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, I just thought I'd give you an update on my situation:

I've communicated with Microsoft's technical support team several times, and all they could initially recommend was to re-sync my Microsoft Account, do a soft reset of the phone, reset OneDrive, check my internet connection, and change my Microsoft Account password (to prompt a re-login). I've already done all these things several times, and none of them worked.

HOWEVER, they then recommended that I do a hard reset, which I was obviously very reluctant to do. Unfortunately, EVEN THE HARD RESET DIDN'T WORK. So if any of you get told by Microsoft to do this, tell them it's been proven not to work (even though the person I dealt with had no other available solutions).

So as of this moment, the issue is still not fixed, which leads me to believe that it's actually a problem with OneNote (specifically, its support of Windows Phone 8.1). I've noticed a few apps removing support for Windows Phone lately (including Facebook Messenger), so maybe this is the beginning of the end for them?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I really hope this is a temporary issue. I see no reason for Microsoft to suddenly stop OneNote sync. I'll check if I can replicate this.

Microsoft hasn't released a version that'll run on the Lumia 640 without using Windows Insider

This is definitely incorrect. Windows 10 Mobile is officially available for Lumia 640.

MS Icon

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I am also having this problem trying to sync any of my many onedrive files, and Onenote pages. This started last night (4-11-17) and Ive tried all the basic things, soft boot, wifi, cell data only. I really hope this is temporary, extremely temporary!
Nokia Icon

LumPhile

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm using Windows Phone 8.1. I'd love to use Windows 10, but Microsoft hasn't released a version that'll run on the Lumia 640 without using Windows Insider (which I'm reluctant to use, as I've heard that the WI version of W10 is very buggy).

For a moment I thought you were joking or just being sarcastic: I assumed that, by now, the whole world knew WM10 was officially supported on the 640. I also use OneNote on a daily basis, and it continues to perform without issues on my 640

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Obviously this problem is affecting quite a few people, and it started around the same time for all of us, but are there any people experiencing this problem with Windows 10, NOT Windows 8.1? If so, then that also points to it being a problem with OneNote (which is what it seems like at this point). However, it could just be a problem with Windows 8.1, so could someone please post a link for upgrading to WP10? My phone's automatic update system just says that my phone's up to date each time I try to check, so I don't know how to upgrade.

LumPhile

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Obviously this problem is affecting quite a few people, and it started around the same time for all of us, but are there any people experiencing this problem with Windows 10, NOT Windows 8.1? If so, then that also points to it being a problem with OneNote (which is what it seems like at this point). However, it could just be a problem with Windows 8.1, so could someone please post a link for upgrading to WP10? My phone's automatic update system just says that my phone's up to date each time I try to check, so I don't know how to upgrade.

Get the Upgrade Advisor app from the Store and follow the prompts

MS Icon

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 is not yet available for most Windows Phones. Microsoft is trickling it down from new phones 1st. You must make a new purchase to obtain Win10, eventually they plan to release it to some existing hardware. The problem is within the Onenote app, previously I though the Onedrive app in general was affected. This is what I get when trying to sync. (Selecting View Sync Status) This is such a show stopper. I put alot of trust into the onenote app for it to be down for almost 2 days with no explanation? wp_ss_20170412_0001.jpg

Alex_Bass

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I just downloaded the Upgrade Advisor app, and after running it I get the following message:

"The Windows 10 upgrade isn't available for your phone at the moment. We're trying to determine if your phone can support Windows 10."

So I WAS right - Windows 10 STILL doesn't support oldet handsets.

In either case, WP8.1 is the second most recent Microsoft OS, and their policy for desktop OS is to support the 3 most recent versions, so it's unreasonable to put this issue down to the OS (asie from the fact that it simply ISN'T the OS, as we now know).

Very disappointed in Microsoft for his. First we lose two thirds of our storage space, then we lose the Facebook Messenger app (not to mention a few more that have removed WP support in the last year), and now OneNote completely stops working.

I was already planning to switch to Android in June-July, but now it looks like I'll also have to eschew OneNote for a Android alternative. Is Google Keep the closest equivalent, in that respect?

Shame on you Microsoft. You conned us into thinking you actually give a damn about the cell phone market, but clearly you were just trying to milk Nokia for as many hardware sales as possible before dumping the market and removing support.

patj2474

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I've been stranded by this problem, times two. I have one HTC Windows phone as my company cell and one Nokia as my personal cell. OneNote failed on both sometime between last night and this morning.
I've been checking this thread throughout the day hoping for a solution.
I sure hope there is a solution soon. I'd like to continue using Windows on both my phones but I'll switch to Android or IOS before switching to Win10 and having to worry about a problem like this again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers