Is it okay to continue with the Windows Defender and not install no other Antivirus?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have been using my PC (Windows 10) only through protection of windows defender and have not installed any other Anti-virus software. Till date I haven't faced any problems altough after extensive internet surfing and downloading.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read and from my experience, Windows Defender is pretty good at its job. I always run Malwarebytes along side it though. Safe online practices are always the best protection, however.

Last edited:

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I have been using my PC (Windows 10) only through protection of windows defender and have not installed any other Anti-virus software. Till date I haven't faced any problems altough after extensive internet surfing and downloading.

That is what I have too, since the beginning of Windows 10 Technical Preview.

At one time I also installed Malwarebytes ( free edition) and used it as my On-demand Protection.
I would, once a week, scan the system with Malewarebytes.

On-demand means one has manually start it, and it will stop after scanning.

As of now, all I have is Windows Defender for 3 of my laptops. 2 of them running Home and Pro, one running Insider Preview.
So far I have no security issue. That's about 2 years now.

No security programs can protect you unless you observe the "do's" and "don'ts" of internet surfing.

Last edited:

Withheld

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Not long ago I swore by the free offerings by AVG until seeing a number of people hit with ransomware.
TBO, it really depends of the day week which AV is best. As for Defender, I use it and can't recall the last time I've seen anyone else with malware or virus. Also, it doesn't use system resources as most others.
As stated above, surf safe but if still you want other choices, free Avast has been good and for a paid AV, Kaspersky has been pretty good.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Windows Defender is pretty good - it has been my only antivirus since I upgraded to Windows 10, and I've been fine. At the same time, I also recognise that some people will need a more robust solution. In the end, it really depends on how comfortable you are and your usage habits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corin